last year for long-bed 2wd 2door singlecab 4cyl?

Discussion in '1989-1995 Pickup Discussion' started by mckidyl, Feb 10, 2022.

1. mckidyl

mckidyl Member

Truck:
    88 Pickup 2wd longbed AT
    I realize this is something I should know already --but I don't. What was the LAST YEAR that Toyota offered a single-cab, 2-wheel drive, LONG BED pickup truck?

I have an 88 in that config (w/4cyl & automatic) and it's stout, but I'd like to get newer if possible IN THAT CONFIGURATION.

Don't even get me started about 4-door pickup trucks. That's just a big sedan that's missing a trunk lid. I need a truck to work with me, to haul lumber and materials. Standard bed lengths just don't quite get it. 4wd are too high off the ground. Crew cabs are just a waste of space; I need that room in the cargo bed.

So when was the last year Toyota built such a thing? Really would appreciate your replies.

2. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Looks like they still make them new, but maybe not where you are
    2021 Toyota Hilux TGN121R Workmate (4x2) White 5 Speed Manual Cab Chassis
    $33,990

Seller's Description

AS NEW...2021 Toyota Hilux TGN121R Workmate Cab Chassis Single Cab 2dr Man 5sp 4x2 2.7i Aug.in white with books, Cancelled Order 2550mm General Purpose Alloy Tray, Genuine Towbar Wiring
    [​IMG]

3. mckidyl

mckidyl Member

Truck:
    88 Pickup 2wd longbed AT
    Thank you! You're right, I should have specified U.S. Still, that's a nice truck. If 2550mm is the bed length (which is unclear) that'd be over 8 feet. It looks purposeful but probably unobtanium here. What country is that in, anyway?

4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Here in USA, I think the last yr for single cab long bed is 91. All Xtra cab after that.

5. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    The truck is in Australia, so the steering wheel will be on the incorrect side. Not that that matters,
    You might be able to pick one up from japan at a much better price, and easier to freight too.
    https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-toyota-hilux-for-sale?maxYear=2022

6. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Didn't the T100 have an optional long bed version? Back then, the US domestics used to advertise their trucks could carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat while the imports couldn't.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  7. mckidyl

mckidyl Member

Truck:
    88 Pickup 2wd longbed AT
    Didn't the T100 have an optional long bed version? Back then, the US domestics used to advertise their trucks could carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat while the imports couldn't.

Yes, the T100s were larger and had long bed versions. My 88 Long Bed won't quite take 4x8 plywood but it's close, and it will take 8' 2x4s diagonally. It'll also haul 1/2 yard of gravel, no problem. For sheet goods (like drywall) I put 2x4s crosswise on the bed top and tie it down. You can also haul 16' lumber if you stack it up onto the cab roof -- I've done it more than a few times.

Amazingly, years ago we had a 1969 Chevrolet station wagon ("Kingswood Estate") that would take 4x8 plywood INSIDE the back, once you folded the seat down. Exactly 1/4" to spare! I used that same car to string barbed wire across a field, setting up the fence puller and reel of wire on the tailgate. Ridiculous set-up, but it worked out.

I've now owned 4 Toyota pickups, and sincerely doubt there's any better machine on the planet, of any kind, for getting work done.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  8. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I think the T100 is a great work horse! Even in 2wd. Not too big, not too small. Just right. Lol. Not to mention it whooped errbody azz down in the Baja 500/1000 races in it's day!

9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    But a 5g std cab long bed, now that's a pretty rare truck, at least here I'm SoCal.

10. mckidyl

mckidyl Member

Truck:
    88 Pickup 2wd longbed AT
    Yep, Erwin -- just too rare. Instead I'll just keep my 88 and just throw a lot of money at it. It already runs fine (can't kill those engines) and is low mileage. Suspension/steering and appearance are pretty tired, though. Well, it's all fixable, right?

11. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Oh yeah. Upgrading/renewing the steering/suspension always makes these trucks feel brand new again. Keeps you wanting to work on all the other weathered parts.

12. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Only interested in the newest 4cyl versions or would a v6/v8 be ok?
    Tundras came in SCLB format; my coworker has a 1st gen 2wd Tundra single cab long bed, but it's the v6 not a 4cyl. I've seen 2nd gen SCLB as well. I heard they're going to do the long bed again in the Tundra, but I highly doubt they'll have a single cab anymore, they don't even have the single cab option on a Tacoma for many years now.