L43 to W50 Swap Clutch Issues

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Sk1dmark, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Hello all!

I’m midway through my W50 swap and have hit a snag. The clutch is acting entirely differently. For reference I never disconnected hydraulics during the swap, but put on a new clutch, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and pressure plate. I’m using a W50 with the bellhousing and clutch fork off my L43. I put it all back together today but the clutch has a ton of free play which it didn’t before and it isn’t fully disengaging (I.e. I press the clutch in fully but the truck still rolls in first because it is dragging). I bled the slave and there was no air, however the adjustment rod is fully out currently (fully towards the clutch fork). Any idea what may be happening?

the clutch kit I got had two throw out bearings in it, one thinner and one thicker. I replaced the bearing in place with the thinner one as that is what was in the truck prior, was that a mistake?

thanks in advance for any help!

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I think you're supposed to use the fork and throw out bearing and collar thing from the W-series trans.
    Mine had a L43 in it when i got it and i wana say the fork was completely different than the W-series

Sk1dmark likes this.
  3. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Oh boy, that may be the culprit. @Toyotashack do you have the throw out bearing collar and fork still? And if you do could you post a picture? I may need to get those shipped too haha

Any idea if the shift fork should work with the L43 bellhousing? I was under the impression this was more bolt in as the bellhousing was interchangeable

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Do you have a picture of the L43 fork?

5. Toyotashack

Toyotashack Enthusiast

Truck:
    77 hilux 92 2wd 89&90 runners
    W50 bell and fork on right

Attached Files: