In search of

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Kapu pono, May 13, 2023.

1. Kapu pono

Kapu pono Newbie

In search of a single sidedraft intake mani for a 22r motor can someone help me locate some or is it something that I would have to fabricate myself?

2. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Curious, Why would you want a single sidedraft carb? From the times I've used singles they weren't much good for high end power and were less than streetable.

What would your planned use be?

If you want good streetable power increase a Weber 40DFEV downdraft with a Offenhauser or Cannon manifold would do better than a single sidedraft. Other than that dual sidedraft would be the way to go.
    There were a couple of manifolds available that fit Holley carbs, both 2 and 4 barrel carbs. If you have any interest in that look at the circle track guys.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    If you were to go with a 4bbl carb, what size would be optimal? I mean there's a point where too much hair starts to hurt ..

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Using the CFM calculator on summitracing, 200cfm carb for street use

5. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    4 Barrel carb on a 4 banger, I've found, is good for racing and that's about it. The 22R did well enough with the Holley 250 CFM 2 barrel. A 4 barrel manifold does make it simple to go EFI! There have been many throttle body injection conversion kits in 4 and 2 barrel form using "Holley" type mounting configuration. Put a couple on VWs in the day. Not the best way to go, but they could be tuned to work well enough to be streetable while offering decent performance.

Don't think that a 4 barrel carb is going to be the same as individual throttles, it just isn't. A plenum with a throttled hole, be it 1 or more throttled hole, is still a plenum. The biggest factors are the size of the plenum and the length of the runners. How you fill that plenum doesn't make that much of a difference.

If you want the best set-up for performance street in a 22R go with the 22RE and tune that puppy. The RE mani is tuned for good torque, like the 22R was designed for. If you want a screamer, side draft carbs or ITBs are the way to go. For a better mid to upper RPM shorten the EFI mani so the plenum is on the lower runners taking out about 6" of runner. Then you still have to deal with the dogleg in the head intake port.

Sorry for being long winded, just that I've done just about everything that can be done with the 20/22R,RE.

The one thing I've talked to machinists about, and they said they wouldn't even attempt it, is offsetting the crankshaft. The geometry is mindboggling! The possible performance and efficiency is astounding. The cost of modding an existing engine for such a thing, prohibitive. The concept keeps the dream alive.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    Ponyryd, jetas and Erwin Merida like this.