I'm back for good this time!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by coy, Jan 22, 2020.

1. coy

coy Member

hello all!

My name is Coy and I joined this group back in 07 (ixcocoyxi) but sadly I don’t know my password for it anymore. it's all good tho. new life will be born with this truck so new account!

Anywho, a little info about my yota!

My father purchased this 1988 pickup brand new. I found pictures he took after he modified it a bit (see attached photos) and it was looking so good! The final look is with the camper shell when he got rid of the roll bar. I was hoping there was no camper so I could look to getting a roll bar for it, but I like the camper!

In 2000, he gave it to me to use for college/work. I changed the wheels out, took the camper off and lowered it. He didn’t like it and told me I would ruin the suspension. In 2004, I gave it back because I bought a newer car. Before I went to boot camp, I told him that if he was thinking of getting rid of it, I would buy it from him. Even though I knew he would’ve just given it to me. He kept saying ‘oh no, you wouldn’t want it. It has a lot of problems.’ I think he forgot that I know my way around cars. In 09, he sold it to his girlfriend’s nephew.

After his recent passing, I hinted to the nephew that I wanted to buy it back. Without hesitation, he said he wouldn’t mind. It was his work truck, so its a little beat up. He sold me the truck for how much he got it for. $500!

About two weeks ago, I drove 2 hours out to look at the truck. Ive been looking at pictures I had and was very excited to see it. When I first got there, I was a little heartbroken on the condition it was in, but very happy to see it! I test drove it, started right up, transmission doesn’t slip, gears don’t pop out, small leak under the engine (oil pan gasket), doesn’t smoke, engine doesn’t tick even with having 388k+ miles on the clock. Driving it back 2 hours from El Centro to San Diego through the desert and over the mountains, it didn’t overheat or anything! I had the biggest smile on my face all the way home! I was remembering all the times I had in this truck growing up from my father letting me steer and shift when I was passenger. He taught me how to drive manual when I was 16. And when my son gets older (he’s almost 2 years) I’ll teach him how to drive it too!

I plan to keep as much stuff as possible that my dad had on it (camper and wheels) and just make it look my own. He had white wall lettering on the tires he always bought for it so I’ll do the same. Its gonna be a big project but I have nothing but time. I’ll be working on this slowly but at least get the major things like the tune-up, suspension and steering done. Ive been driving it now and then and still solid.

After owning about 8 cars in my life, I went full circle and went back to what I started driving. I look at it randomly throughout the day in the garage. I know you guys might say ‘your dad would be very happy that you got it!’ but he kept saying not to get it because it had issues LOL!! One thing I was glad the truck still had was the original CALIFORNIA sunset license plates on it! My wife has a vinyl cutting machine so that’ll definitely help me re-do the design on it. If it didn’t have the plates, I would’ve gotten the California legacy black plates.

Be sure to stay tuned in the 88 build thread for the progress of my ‘new to me again’ mini truck!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  2. coy

coy Member

say hello to 22R'onBurgundy
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    _Quickfox likes this.
  3. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Love the story, and dig the truck, keep on rocking it man!

what is that wheel/tire spec?

4. coy

coy Member

I just started a build thread. you'll be able to find info on the truck there :D