How to make Weber carb CA legal!

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Kenstyles, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Kenstyles

Kenstyles Member

Truck:
    76' sr5, 95' std. cab
    So I have searched every damn thread to see if a weber carb would be legal in CA and came across the same answers; "IT WON'T PASS VISUAL!" Knowing that my stock aisin runs like ass and would not pass smog; I decided to buy a weber and figure a way out to pass the visual. Low and behold, I went ahead and modified the STOCK air filter and "falsely" hook up my vacuum lines to pass the visual for smog. This was done on my 76' hilux. I have also done this mod on a friends 82' toyota pickup and it has also passed the visual for smog. Here are some parts and pics. HOPE THIS HELPS THOSE IN NEED FOR PASSING SMOG! GOODLUCK!

Parts needed:
    Stock air filter
    EGR
    Vacuum hoses
    LC Engineering EGR block off plate
    K&N filter (OPTIONAL) for PCV hose
    Dremel

Sorry I do not have the process of myself dremeling the airfilter, but this is what you should end up with. You are going to go ahead and dremel a square to accommodate the weber as well as dremeling the smog pump entry. *this is done so you can clear the access for fuel*
    [​IMG]

For the EGR; I went ahead and installed the LC engineering block off plate and on top of it put the stock EGR. This gave the look of it "installed" when it was really blocked off. Also go ahead and install a hose to the EGR pump to give it that look that it's installed, but lead it to where the inspector cannot see it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this picture, you can see how I hooked up the PCV hose with the K&N filter and hid it from view. Also how the EGR hose is hidden away. What I also did was modified the bottom plate for the stock weber filter to block off any in-bay dust or dirt that would come in to the carb when it was running. What you can also see is how I have vacuum pump hose laying next to the thermostat. This gives it the look that it is still installed when the filter is put back on.
    [​IMG]

From here, go ahead and install all the necessary hoses from the vacuum box (if you have one) to their proper vacuum ports. If you do not know where they go to, you can go ahead and just find ports to plug them in (that's what i did). I used clear hoses to give it a better pic to see what it looks like. (caution: clear hoses will not pass smog! only the black ones will.)
    [​IMG]

And Viola! CA Legal BABY!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you run into any problems feel free to message me and I'll try my best to help you out. Hope this helps anyone out who decides to buy a weber and needs to pass smog in CA.

2. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Thanks for putting together this guide! As someone who will most likely end up in a smog area in the next few years, this writeup is a goldmine of information and ideas.

3. Kenstyles

Kenstyles Member

Truck:
    76' sr5, 95' std. cab
    Yeah. This was done fairly quickly since my smog was due the next day. I know someone out there will do it cleaner. But like you said, this it's a great starting point for those who are in need of smogging with a weber.

4. Spacemonkee23

Spacemonkee23 Newbie

Does anyone know if the GM ignition swap is CA smog legal. On the paper it says "spark controls" will the GM ignition mod make me fail visual. Its already done and I dont have the old Toyota ignition control module, have to smog in a year so I have time, I'm just curious.

5. Skipper64

Skipper64 Newbie

Truck:
    1982 Standard Shortbed
    This is brilliant!