How to eliminate oil from spraying out of filter?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Henry, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

I had this issue with my 20R but it wouldn't happen all the time, but with my 22R there must be a little more blowby and I constantly have to wipe up a little oil after every long drive.

I'm currently running a new PVC that connects to the intake manifold. I also have a small K&N filter on the front of the manifold.

Would a catch can system help me in this situation? Normally this would only connect to the PCV side of the valve cover, correct?

Another thought I had was there is this adapter that connects the two halves of the PCV hose that routes into the intake manifold.
    [​IMG]
    I checked it and there doesn't seem to be any kind of blockage. Would eliminating this allow a better flow of air and possibly eliminate the pressure build up that is escaping from the breather?

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    In the old days (pre pcv) they used a road draught tube to remove blowby gases. You could replace your front air breather with a simple elbow fed into a section of plastic or metal hose extended along the block ending at about the transmission. As you’re driving the air passing by the end of the tube creates a partial vacuum removing the blowby gases. This won’t be emission compliant but should do away with oil film on the block.

Erwin Merida and Pearce like this.
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Drain the oil from the engine.

seriously tho, thats a check valve. Supposed to hold the vacuum on the booster side of the hose.

the hose from the PCV is supposed to go to the intake manifold, and the booster should be getting vacuum from the intake manifold(manifold, vac hose, check valve, vac hose, booster)

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Man that is old-school. Epa would have a major fit. Lol

5. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Yep. But I’m old school. Back in my day you had to work with what was available. I used to change the heat range on my spark plugs by filing down the ceramic insulator to expose more electrode.More electrode = greater heat and better combustion. Of course this was with leaded fuel. Most members here don’t remember what leaded fuel was.

6. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

The line from the booster, and the PCV connect to the intake manifold

[​IMG]

7. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Should the booster have the check valve in line and not the PCV? I just have it setup this way because thats how it was when I bought it.

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    No. Thats why i mentioned it earlier. Check valve goes inline to the booster. PCV just has the vac line to the manifold. And you may want to switch the location on the manifold for those 2 hoses, personal preference, i feel youd get better vacuum on that middle port than that back one for the booster.

also make sure the check valve is facing correctly on the booster line

9. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

I'll make this change and see how it works out. Anything else I can do to cut down on the oil coming out of the breather? Can you hookup a catchcan to the breather vs using the PCV?

10. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Road tube..... most likely your best option.

11. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

I have a check valve on the booster, and one on the PCV system. I'm going to swap locations of the hoses and see if that makes a difference. Should I also eliminate the check valve on the PCV hose and just run a new hose to the IM?

12. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Had to dig out my manual...

Jetas is correct. Just plug the PCV hose directly into the IM, no check valve. It looks like you took a lot of emissions crap out and a new carb? The factory carb has a bung at the base for the PCV valve hose.

I'm guessing the inline check valve is in backwards forcing blowby out your filter. Getting rid of it should fix your problem, assuming the PCV valve is good....

And you need a check valve in the brake booster line. This keeps vacuum in the booster in case your engine dies and you need to stop.

jetas likes this.
  13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    This. All of this EXCEPT do yourself a favor and DONT hook the PCV hose to the underside of the carb. Its just guna gunk up the carb. Just block off the hole somehow. I put tape on the underside and havent looked back lol. Just run the hoses to the manifold as stated above and run it. Just make sure the check valve is oriented correctly

14. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Oh, yeah. Thanks. I only mentioned the bung at the base of the carb for information.

Also, it looks like OP's car does have a check valve in the brake booster line. In the first pic at the very top, the connector bolted to the firewall to which the brake booster vacuum lines are connected is the check valve.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    jetas likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

So I ended up buying an oil catch can. I ran the line to the can itself, and capped off the other end. Went on a 60 mile round trip drive and there was nothing in the can itself. The mesh material inside the can had a little bit of oil, but nothing in the can itself. Hopefully this resolved the issue. I loved the look of the breather on the valve cover, but the amount of oil that would spray all over the engine was annoying.

[​IMG]