How big can I go with wheels/tires on stock 75 Hilux?

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by priusjames, May 28, 2010.

1. priusjames

priusjames Enthusiast

Truck:
    75 Hi-lux
    It's time to look at wheels and tires. I did look around the forum (I'm *positive* this must have all been discussed before), but messages don't seem to stay around too long on this one.

Lots of stuff for sale on Craigslist all the time...but not a lot of information as to how big I can go without rubbing on anything. Easier to ask here than to test a hundred wheels or believe what the seller says.

Stock tires 195/65/14. I know the lug pattern is 5x4.5 (114.3). Same as many Fords, Dodge trucks, etc.

Looks like there's room to go at least 16", is that right? If not, let me know.

How wide can I go? I don't necessarily want anything really wide, just to know what my upward limitations are so I can get something smaller.

Do I need to worry about offset or the size of the center hole? What is the "standard offset" on this truck? What are the limits I can safely use without looking stupid? I prefer something that stays inside the wheel-wells, look pretty stock (except they aren't steelies) and don't rub on anyhting underneath when turning. Simple.

I think I'd really like to find either some slot mags or Cragars, or some other "period-style" wheels in good shape.

Thanks for your help!

James

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Idk but im pretty sure you can fit 18x8"s.

aftermarket wheels have center bores that are really big so yea...

stock wheels from other cars are guna vary on the center. cuz for the most part the imports have a small bore. American cars i believe are very oversized in comparison. Charger/300/magnum have a perfect bore. Slightly larger but not tooo big

3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Look at the new body V6 mustang wheels. High ish offset 5 spoke. 17s I think. Torque Trust style wheel. I had 16s on my 78. Some guys have larger ones. Offset in the +25-40 range should work depending on how much you drop it. +40 on a 7" w/ 225/50/16s used to rub a hair on my lower arm at full lock. slight bit less turn than that and they cleared.

4. smartin831

smartin831 Newbie

heres what my buddy is running i forgot the size but ill get it in a bit it looks good and its stock suspension

Attached Files:

5. Cruz_Garage

Cruz_Garage Newbie

FB_IMG_1603668257224.jpg 18x8.5 up fronts
    18x10s in the Rears
    Dont Remember the Off Set/Back Space

6. Cruz_Garage

Cruz_Garage Newbie

IMG-20200915-WA0069.jpeg

Attached Files: