Hilux Engine Swap

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by kosxprodigyx, Jun 10, 2018.

?

What engine should I swap into my 78 2wd Hilux?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2018.
  1. 57 Vortec

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 22RE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3VC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 305

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 350

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kosxprodigyx

kosxprodigyx Newbie

Truck:
    78 Toyota Hilux
    I need help figuring out what engine would be better fit to hook up to my 5 speed tranny because I need to swap out my 20R for more hp and torque.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    What year truck do you have?

3. kosxprodigyx

kosxprodigyx Newbie

Truck:
    78 Toyota Hilux

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    How much work are you willing to put into the swap?

350SBC, LS1 are going to need some fab work. 22RE probably the easiest. Id skip the 3VZ and go for a 5VZ instead if i was going the V6 route. 305 eh, just go for a 350

5. kosxprodigyx

kosxprodigyx Newbie

Truck:
    78 Toyota Hilux
    I'm willing to put my whole wallet and all my free time into this but yeah I was thinking more on the lines of a V6 but the 305 and 350 sound amazing and preform amazing so I'm just confused on what route I should take.

6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Check out the 4.3L SBC. Plenty of aftermarket upgrades. It’s basically a 350 SBC with two cylinders chopped off. Same bore and stroke as the 350.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Only problem is it will take more $ to get the power a 350 makes out of a 4.3

Id personally go with a LS1 swap.

8. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Before I input any of my cents, keep in mind that whatever route you go, you have to plan for how you're going to use the truck, and how handy you are.

Max easy power with the least investment? Go LS swap. You can always twin-turbo it later, and parts are available everywhere. But... It's a tiny engine bay. Every trick in the book will be used on this idea, and any other V8 swaps. Absolutely the (generally accepted) best if money and time isn't an option.

A more purebred power? 2JZ-GTE with an R154 or V160 tranny. You will run into engine bay length issues. Electric fans, firewall massaging, and other problems will plague you. But, pure Toyota power.

Purebred power, and potentially easier to install yourself? The 3RZ is the modern version of the 22RE, or the 5VZ V6 both fit well in early Toyota engine bays. Electric fans for even easier install. I think supercharger and turbo kits are available for both.

Batshit crazy? 1GZ with custom everything and maybe some turbos (t's a V12, IDGAF, it's not my money)

But... on a reasonable note, there are Beams 3sge motors with 6 speed transmissions for cheap, 200ish HP, and with the right gearing will be about as much as your lightweight little truck needs if it's a daily. You can also turbo them to 300 or 400 hp without too much investment, and more with reasonable investment. If you find the right deal, you can also take the turbo motors out of the MR2, and find the 6 speed manual from whatever car had front-engine-but-RWD, and pair them together. Not sure what that costs, but I heard rumors of about 3500 all in plus your time if you can weld.

And don't forget that some of these engine swaps add WEIGHT. You can get power all day, but if your front end drags on the ground or wallows like a '90s mustang around corners, who gives a shit? Make sure your suspension is addressed to keep proper spring rate balance on all corners. It sucks to have a tight rear end but a floppy front. I swear that's not an intentional innuendo.

On top of all these considerations, you have to make sure you can display your speed. Some transmissions are set up for cable driven speedometers, and some are set for electric spedometers. Make sure you have the ability to get whatever parts you need so you don't constantly get pulled over for dumb shit.

I'm not voting. It's not my money, and 1GZ isn't an option listed

Ainwarhol and jetas like this.
  9. lawdog

lawdog Newbie

Im thinking of doing a 3RZ swap. They put out double the hp as the 20R and bolt right up. The Marlin Crawler forum has a lot of info on this swap.

Peter T likes this.