High output alternator

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by allirtu, Apr 29, 2023.

1. allirtu

allirtu Newbie

Recently parked my truck due to the compressors continuously killing my battery so I’m looking to get a high output alternator and my first thought is LCE alternator but I’m skeptical about the idle charging I don’t want to be stranded because my compressors kicked on at a stoplight any recommendations?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Get the GM conversion brackets, and a Powermaster 150A. Thats what im running, started with 100A then had to upgrade

3. allirtu

allirtu Newbie

i found this alternator https://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/713/47294/10002/-1# . i have a 94 22re. i dont know much about the charging system but ive seen the term "1 wire" being thrown around a lot. is that something i would have to do to make this alternator work?

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
  5. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I run a GM 12SI alternator from Quality Power , it is billet cased , 100 amps at idle , 150 amps above idle.they have the plug to go to a Toyota.
    I also run a Odyssey PC1500 battery from West Coast Batteries

jetas likes this.
  6. allirtu

allirtu Newbie

How could I tell if I have an internal or externally regulated alternator? If it helps, my alternator has one wire and one square ish connector on it.

from quality power I found alternator part #712710SI. Not quite sure which connector would fit

I found this write up https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/how-gm-1-wire-alternator-3-wire-toyota-264252/

it seems thorough and easy to do. My only worry is if I ever need to go back to the stock alt for any reason, the original connector would need to be reconnected so I might opt for the quality power harness.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I wana say yours should be internal. But if the Alt is connected to a box on the inner fender then its external.

you can always make your own patch harness, you just need to know which wires to connect. The GM 1wire option is straight forward as far as connecting the Alt. Wiring it to the truck is where you have to think a little

8. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Power Master & LC are more $$$ than Quality Power

jetas likes this.
  9. allirtu

allirtu Newbie

I ended up buying from quality power and I bought the brackets from lc. Very satisfied with quality power. Bought from them on Tuesday and I received it on Wednesday. Brackets will get here today just gotta go to the parts store for the connector. I’ll upload pictures when I do the install

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just a heads up, i had to cut one of the mounting holes off the bracket to fit my application. You may need to do the same. Nothing crazy but just giving you a heads up

11. allirtu

allirtu Newbie

Everything works well. Only concern is the alternator seems to have some sort of whine at idle and it seemingly gets louder when I rev. Not sure if yours is like that truckmaster but I figured I’d bring it up. This install went very smooth. Since my truck has no a/c or p/s I didn’t have to remove any radiator hoses. No grinding or cutting.

Attached Files:

12. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    No whine from mine. When I got mine I but in a jig side by side so to see pulley alignment & had to cut part the the mounting part on the alternator itself, also had to make a new spacer & lengthen the adjusting arm

Attached Files:

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Make sure the belt has enough tension. When you spin the Alt pulley, it should be able to spin the crank(in neutral)