Headunit Options?

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Henry, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

I recently pulled my aftermarket cassette deck, and I was content with no music, but as of lately I've been considering getting something. At the moment I'm using the stock location for an aftermarket gauge, but I could reuse this location for a head unit if there isn't another option. I like the gauge there, but if it needs to be moved I would do that.

What head units are you guys running? Will anything aftermarket fit in the stock location? It appears smaller than usual. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

I would love a headunit that just does bluetooth. I won't have CDs and will only be using my phone for music.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    What year truck?

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I have looked several times online and haven’t found any head units made in the last 20yrs that fits the stock hole without cutting it bigger by at least 1/2”, which is not something I’m wanting to do for aesthetics because all the details on the dash panel are so tight together

I’ve been going no music or BT speaker for the last few years but my ultimate plan is to use the BT head unit I already have in a box and put it in a console that also houses speakers. If I had a fancier unit with remote control or phone controls I’d likely hide it more since I wouldn’t have to look at it for adjusting - like under the seat for example.

4. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Mmmm you could either make a small console like i had made (check my build thread) or i know they offer underdash mounting options

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I do remember seeing an updated old-school radio for the land cruisers that had Bluetooth. It might be the same radio or close for the hilux. It was a expensive unit tho.

7. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

I've seen a few universal underdash mounts. I think I'll look into one of these and see if this is an option.

8. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

I believe I ran across that one. I'd rather not spend a lot of money on a headunit if possible. I just need something that will get the job done.