Has anyone upgraded their headlight on 1975-1978 Toyota Hilux Pickup?

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by OMI, Sep 24, 2013.

1. OMI

OMI Newbie

Truck:
    1983 Toyota Pickup SR5 4X4 Short Bed 22R
    I wish to upgrade my headlights of my 1975 Toyota Hilux Pickup. Maybe HID or LED? I want something that shines bright white light because I am bored with the yellow halogen (seal bulb H5006 model) lights. Has anyone have theses lights or ever installed them?
    [​IMG]

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    I got conversion housings for mine on ebay. Uses H4 bulbs, and has a angled reflector instead of glass lens diffusing. I have run lots of bulbs, 6000k is my favorite. You can put HIDs in if you want, but finding a good high/low beam kit for the outers can be tough. I wouldnt run LED for the main light just yet. Wait until prices and quality balance out in a few more years.

3. OMI

OMI Newbie

Truck:
    1983 Toyota Pickup SR5 4X4 Short Bed 22R
    Thanks standardbyker88, I was also wondering if you have to do any modifications to have the housing fit in headlight area because some new headlight housing are a bit longer? Also did you replace all 4 headlights with H4 bulbs? Yeah I like that same light temp too (6000K). Can you refer me which conversion housings you bought in ebay please too?

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I got them about 5 years ago so I doubt i would find the same seller. Summit racing has the same kind of lights. I had to cut the hole on the core support for the wire plug larger to allow the housing to like thru. I used a cut off wheel and made a square hole. Less pretty but easier. Didn't have a big hole saw. I also had to split the clamp ring at the 12o clock spot since the new lens was a hair wider. I also had to grind off some of the meat from where it seats into the adjuster cup. It's fiberglass so it was easy.

If I was to do it again, I would hunt for some BMW 3 series lights and see how they fit. Or get some from summit racing. I need to order 2 new ones, ones a halo replacement and one has a rock chip hole. Ill run an inner and outer pair that are similar. Good enough for me.

I also came across a very cool little part from speedway motorsports. It's a small ring that goes around the H4 bulb in the housing hole and has a small LED hanging under the H4. Wire it to the blinkers. I wanna get a pair for the inners since they aren't lit up with the low beams on. And if the highs are on, there must not be anybody in front of me to signal or it would be on low beam. And they're $15 for the little lights. Ill post some links later when I'm not on my phone.

5. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    My friends datsun 510 wagon has BMW3 series lights with HIDs and yet work pretty good.. He bought the car with them so I don't know what had to be done..

My next spending spree will be for a headlight setup, probably HIDs..

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I have a buddy that used the bmw headlights on his datsun. They work pretty good with HIDs and wont be blinding people

7. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    My question about going to HIDs is how do you wire the outers (low beam) to stay on when you switch to high beams? Do you just wire the low beams to both prongs on the original connector?

Sorry if this is confusing, and it's probably stupid simple I'm just over thinking it..

Why I ask is because I want to run 3500k bulbs in the high beams so that it'll be a greenish color going down the road :D

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I would do like you said and wire the outer to run from high or low mode. Or get a high/low hid kit. I've ordered them before.

9. Randy justice hilux

Randy justice hilux Newbie

I have on mine

10. Collin Ramos

Collin Ramos Member

Are our headlights 5 3/4 inch or 7 inch? I’m trying to search up replacements and it shows both sizes.

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    5.75"

BMW ellipsoids work very well. Been running them with a cheap HID kit for 2 years. Some cutting is necessary to make them fit.

[​IMG]

12. Collin Ramos

Collin Ramos Member

Funny thing. I have a bmw e30 just on the side, a project I never finished. Stupid money pit, invested $17k and just lost interest. Well then again, my son was born, so I guess my attention just moved elsewhere. But back to the topic, so I just have to bolt them in? What am I cutting?

jetas likes this.
  13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Need to cut the back holding plate, cut some of the ribs on the light housing, cut the main bracket that holds both of the head lights and trim the core support til the lights fit right in.

14. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
  15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Il be swapping to some of those pretty soon

16. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck: