Getting creative w/ the audio

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Kev55, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

I dont think Im the only standard cab owner that enjoys good audio quality so hopefully someone might have some incite in adding speakers within this minimal space.

My first idea was adding a speaker right around the top of the seat belt area, but I can kind of tell there is some more structure to it in design with enforcing the top of the seat belt latch. So I decided to move down to the vented whole that Im almost sure I can fit a good size speaker in.
    [​IMG]

I measured it out and I'm pretty sure I can fit something like these 4x10s in that area Kenwood KFC-415C 4"x10" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I realize its not the BEST location for speakers since they face the seat at my waist level. But I'm confident they will greatly improve the sound over just having the 4x4s under the dash.

of course there is also the option of adding something in the doors, but I still dont see much room in there either.
    [​IMG]

----

Then comes the bass, where at first I was going to try and put something in the bed of the truck but then found this that would be perfect under the seat!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846
    I know it wont compare to an actual enclosed bass box but in the small space of the single cab I think it will work fine for me. Im not a super bass junky but it would definitely make everything sound better for me.

2. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    As for the doors, you could always do a build out on the door panel. I'm making my own panels out of 1/8" hardboard and mounting the speakers to some MDF spacers, so that I don't have to cut the factory panels. Parts for these trucks are so hard to find in my area, I figured it would be better to just make some instead of cutting mine just in case I change my mind down the road and want to change speakers or worse, panel material and design.
    As for the bass, I'm not familiar with that Boss sub. My concern with it would be whether or not you're lowered and if you would be bouncing up and down on that thing when you hit a good sized bump. I know in my case, my truck has ESS (ejector seat syndrome) so those would get destroyed in no time with my big a*$ bouncing on top of it. You could always look into using a shallow mount woofer behind the seats. I don't know how tall you are but most of them only require 3-5 inches of mounting depth. Some of them have dual voice coils so they play both sides, so then you could get away with just one behind your passenger seat.

3. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    These are good for adding a nice set of speakers to the small cab of our trucks:

Toyota Component Speaker Kick Panel [QL-K4002C] - $199.95 : Q-Logic Direct, Car Audio Speaker and Subwoofer Enclosures

As for the vent, I would think that the mid and highs would be muffled from theyre location.
    I have a pair of 6 1/2 Rockford Prime's in the doors right now running off the head unit and Rockford Power 4's in the dash with caps to take out the bass so they don't blow as easily.
    I have a set of the above, qlogic kick panels that are waiting to be installed once I get the speakers. (Rockford separates)
    As for the doors, theres plenty of room to run decent sized speakers if you use a moderate sized spacer. My 6 1/2's are spaced 3/4 inch and clear no problem (with the door panel cut out) and I'm thinking of going up to 6x8's when I install the 6 1/2 kick panel speakers and amp. It'll just be a case of making another spacer in the shape of the 6x8 and maybe cutting the door panel a little more. The hole already in the door should be more than enough to handle the larger speaker.

4. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    For my bass I use a 6' 1/2 bazooka bass tube on a 300 watt amp was very very surprised at the amount of air this little sub moved does very well on all types of music pretty skinny tube I'm six one seats still goes all the way back

5. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

man those corner speaker covers are so perfect! except a little pricey for me. I think Id go for the 6s in the door. makes the most sense to me.

i never even considered a bazooka cuz i assumed it just wouldnt fit at all but that sounds like a very practical solution. Im like just over 6ft so it would work fine! im definitely going to check that out.

6. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I have an 8" bazooka mounted in front of the passenger side of the bench. Sounds great for what it is. I have a set of 4" coaxials in some enclosures I built to replace the dash vents on my generation of truck. I really need to get some 6 1/2" mids in some kick panels for fill as there is a large gap in the frequencies currently but it sounds ok.

7. Houa Thao

Houa Thao Enthusiast

Truck:
    91extracab
    I've done some 6.5 components in the doors and two 8 subs in storage of an extra cab and it sounded pretty good. Amp under the passenger seat. As for the regular cab, space is pretty tight.

8. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Door pods are a nice easy way to add mids and highs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though mine is an extended cab, you can build the same thing on your doors. And, if the glass doesn't turn out super clean, you can always cover it in vinyl or something else...

9. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    Hey Lit, what did you use to make the door topper? That's the look I want for my doors but, I'm having the hardest time finding that style door panel.

10. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Door topper? The grey vinyl is the stock door panel, and the wood and fiberglass pod is in a write up that I did on door pods.

11. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Very nice,the look & fit are great!! And like them in paint!!
    Very nice work!!!:cool:

12. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    D*#&, I can't find those panels for a 2-dr standard cab to save my life! Story of my life....

13. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open here at the yards for some, they come through every once in a while. You could always build them....

14. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    That's what I'm working on now. I just have to figure out how to do the toppers. I have some from a 4runner but they're too short. I'm trying to figure out if I can combine them (cut and weld) to fit.

15. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

I want to fit something significant sounding like even 6x9 in the doors. Fit spacers behind the door panel and make it stick out as little as possible. Do that on both sides and pick out a nice bazooka for behind the seat..

16. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I think a quality set of 6'1/2 component sets on your doors will out perform a 6x9 and be much easier to fab into the door as far as size and depth and sound quality

Before I removed my stuff to put in my gmc I used components and to 4x6 s on a four channel and a 6 1/2 bazooka on a 300 mono amp . It was nothing special but it sounded pretty good for the amount of room you have to work with

17. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

Yeh that's the setup I went with, 6 1/2s and 6 1/2 bazooka. Does anyone have a link for a good door speaker install D.I.Y? I was thinking just spacing it out a little but I dont want to have to build a pod or anything....

18. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I don't have mucho experience building pods but there are plenty on here that do as far as the sub sense we have the same one I found having it on the passenger side with the sub pointing to the right side it sounded best or deepest the mounting strap isn't much use for the uneven floor so I used a folded up towel to keep it from bouncing around on the back wall the seat will do the rest

19. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

Done

Ok so I figured I'd wait to afford the bass portion of my system but I installed a head unit/speakers/amp.

Here is the finished product

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I really aim for a stock and clean look, all the small details no one notices until their not there.. lol

for the sound I chose Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 6-3/4" and paired them with a Kenwood KAC-1502S amp.. I also installed a dual XML8150 so now I have pandora as soon as I sit in the car :)

[​IMG]

I had to cut a hole and a bottom piece of the window track to fit the speakers. I used 3/4 thick wood with a speaker baffle to push out the speaker as much as possible. without pushing the door panel out to much.. It has a smooth transition from spaced out to flat on the door. if you look at the panel you know what I mean.

you also will notice the red insulation glued in the door and behind the speaker, that would be the poor man's sound proofing.. Its the foam layer under carpet I had to remove from renovating the house. It works pretty damn good for sound proofing and it was free so another + lol

[​IMG]

I wired everything under the passenger side of the bench seat. completely hidden and safe..

[​IMG]

you might also see that my dash is pretty clean, while doing this project I figured I redo the whole dash and run the wires. So at my mom's house while I help renovate I cleaned every pieced, primed it all, and sprayed it with rustoleum with the closest semi-gloss color i could find to the stock color. I think it matched pretty well

[​IMG]

I even sprayed the speaker bezels with the same paint to make the new speakers look even more stock.

and of course its not complete with out the matching fadora XD

20. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    It looks clean. Quick question though, did you leave the plastic on the door and place a piece behind the speakers in the door? If not, the MDF and carpet mat will suck up water like a sponge and give you problems down the road.