Gearhead Shop Truck - 72 RN22

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by gearheadshirts, Jan 21, 2012.

1. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Hey guys. Just kicking off my build thread for my 72.

Coming Home
    [​IMG]

Dirty
    [​IMG]

Clean.. but a bit of surface rust on the floor
    [​IMG]

Backside of the original window sticker. Now framed and on the wall of our office.
    [​IMG]

Maintenance AND GAS records from mile 0 in late 1972 all the way up to 157k in 1997
    [​IMG]

Many more pics here
    1972 Toyota Hilux RN22 - a set on Flickr

So the plans

Exterior - replace missing or broken bits.. Grill.. Taillight bezels.. Other small stuff. Paintless dent repair for the bed. Simple surface rust removal in some spots. Have the gearhead logos put on both doors then polish and wax the crap out of it to protect the bare spots.

Interior. Remove the dash pad. Take everything out. And clean it up inside. Cover the seat bottom with a blanket for now until i can get it recovered. Sweet custom piston gear shift knob

Suspension. Just rebuild for now along with a disc brake upgrade up front. Already have the parts to do it.

Engine.. 18rc runs and drives fine as it is. I have a 22re all torn apart that was going to go in my RA21 but i have since decided to go full out with an RG in the future instead so that may find its way into t he lux since th 18rc in the hole has 159k..

How do i know for sure its not just 59k you ask? Look at the pics.... Full service records from the original owner for EVERY service AND FILL UPS! EVERY ONE! I have to keep my own notebook now... How could i not? Also have the window sticker, orig manuals AND an unsigned over cali title. The girl who sold it didn't even know it was in there!

Which reminds me.. If any of you cali guys knows a donald lepage of paradise ca... Have him give me a call.

2. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Oh.. first question of this thread.. I need a shifter refresh kit and a new shifter boot. Anyone know where those can be had?

3. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
  4. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    Truck looks awesome man!

5. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    That thing looks showroom good. And the bomber seats are awesome, run with that theme.

6. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    It's in really great shape. Just rusty on the floors and a bit of surface on the top but that's it. The passenger fender is crunchy and the bed on that side has some outward dents but they just add to it :)

Got the tie rods adjusted today so it drives reasonably straight.. however.. she has no rearview.. no seatbelts.. no title.. cali plates.. and of course I have to pass right by a parked cop on the way back from a short test drive while NO ONE else is on the road.

Apparently cops don't care one way or another about old Toyota trucks because I went right by and he didn't do a thing.

I just about puked.

7. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    They actually do care in a different way.... It's called Respect! :waytogo:

As loud as my junk is even the local cops in my area give me the thumbs up... Lol

8. confused.rat

confused.rat Enthusiast

Truck:
    1993 Pickup Ext Cab.
    love the front end of these trucks.

9. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Ha.. we'll see how it goes once it's titled and plated.. my hometown cops are total tools.

10. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Sweet truck you found. I like how your keeping it simple and clean. Also nice shirts you sell. I will be order a few on payday. Keep up the great work.

11. Tank

Tank Member

Truck:
    94 scsb
    yea man, nice find, impressive with those records

12. confused.rat

confused.rat Enthusiast

Truck:
    1993 Pickup Ext Cab.
    freaking love this truck. i want the center caps off the wheels!

13. digital-i

digital-i Member

Truck:
    1974 Hi-Lux
    Nice !!!!

14. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Thanks guys for all the kind words. I subscribed to the thread but the emails must be going to junk or something. Anyway I haven't had time to do a whole lot of work to the truck as of late. I got the 76 ball joints all torn apart and now have my spindle/hub/rotor ready to go on my 72, just waiting on ball joints. I've also got a caliper rebuild kit that I want to put in but the last time I tried I was having trouble getting the pistons to pop out of the caliper with air pressure. Any tips on how to plug the holes so I can pop those things out and replace the seals?

15. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Timing has been adjusted and she now starts and idles like a champ. I'm on to the caliper rebuild this weekend after having spent last weekend on my celica... hopefully I won't have 2 projects for much longer and I'll get the hilux done for now and on the road. Since I have an extra set of front springs I'm thinking of giving them a chop. Any advice on how much I should take off for a 2 inch drop?

16. Toy88yota

Toy88yota Member

Truck:
    88 2wd
    Sweet truck. I picked up one of your Save The Stick shirts a couple weeks ago, any chance you will make some Hilux/Pickup shirts?

17. fearincognito

fearincognito Newbie

Truck:
    73 Hilux 75 Hilux 89 Pickup 86 MR2
    I would advise soaking the pistons with a penetrate to loosen it like a couple days of soaking if you have the caliper removed i would whack it on a piece of wood and try to get the piston to drop out a bit even enough to grab it with something to pull on it.

18. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Pistons all came out just by pulling but I had to take the caliper apart to do it which I'm now hearing is a big mistake usually anyway... but I made it even worse when I went to put it back together.. went too tight on the shoulder bolts and didn't notice they were different sizes.. in a hurry I guess.. twisted 3 of them.. one of them off. Drilled it out fine but now I need those bolts. Anyone have any?

Also.. yes on the hilux shirts. I just need to get some time to design a bunch of shirts I have been meaning to do for a while.

19. fearincognito

fearincognito Newbie

Truck:
    73 Hilux 75 Hilux 89 Pickup 86 MR2
    pic?

Would you be able to take a picture of the piece with bolt locations? I can check a part truck i have out at the farm for you if you would like.

20. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    Thanks for the offer but after sleeping on it I think I should just go back to Yota Jims where I got the disc setup and they'll have another caliper and maybe just the bolts sitting around