gas tank issues? i think?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by dyrti, Mar 14, 2011.

1. dyrti

dyrti Veteran

Truck:
    91 pickup layin' frame, and a 99 mazda b2500 (not a toyota)
    when i bought my truck just a few weeks ago it had a beaten to death (literally) 22r under the hood, but it was sporting a custom gas tank. i decided it would be easier to replace the motor with the 22re and found a good one out of another 91. any way i realized today that the 22re is fuel injected and the previous 22r was not. are there going to be any issues with getting fuel to the motor (i'm sure of this) and are there any good (hopefully inexpensive) ways to remedy the problem? any and all help is much needed as well as appreciated.
    please also keep in mind i have none of either the toyota shop manuals nor a chilton/haynes manual.

2. Nook

Nook Addict

Your 22R probably had an engine mounted mechanical pump, the 22RE used an in tank electric pump, so your gonna have to figure a way to mount either an in tank or an inline electric pump that runs at about 10X the pressure of the mechanical to satisfy the EFI engine. plus a return line too.

3. dyrti

dyrti Veteran

Truck:
    thanks i'll look into that. i appreciate it.

4. dyrti

dyrti Veteran

Truck:
  5. eurofreak2002

eurofreak2002 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    80 STD SR5 LB, bagged! The new whip!
    Yah that would work super. Question is wasnt this truck stock with a 22re then someone put a 22r into it?? Then your gas tank should still have the pump and or mounting hole were the pump went to just replace it. Unless the tank in the rear of your truck in the pics is the gas tank then never mind and yes the pump in the link should work great just like NOOK said though gotta get a return line. If you need pics I can get some to see how the 22re is routed.

6. dyrti

dyrti Veteran

Truck:
    that is the gas tank in the rear. the 4-link now occupies the place where the stock tank once was. thanks though i'll give it a try. and if you do have those pics. that'd be freekin' sweet. thanks again.

7. eurofreak2002

Truck:
    Cool I'll try to get those posted tomorrow if not then just PM me so I remember to do it.

8. dyrti

dyrti Veteran

Truck:
    awsome... i am greatful for the advice and help. thanks guys

9. eurofreak2002

Truck:
    Ok man got a few off before camera died. I'll have to go to shop Sunday and get some more. If you got a chiltons itd probably help more than me.

This canister hopefully you still have. Smaller line says purge it goes to block. Larger line is from tank. There is a large line on bottom of this canister that runs through frame rail as well. Im not certain which is return and which is sending. Have to look that up in chilton or haynes manual.
    [​IMG]

Smaller line (silver outlet says purge) goes to the block/rail in this next picture that is seen in the middle it has like 5 tubes on it the line from purge goes to the bottom tube.
    [​IMG]

There are 5 or 6 lines all together coming from tank. One is through frame rail (assuming return) and the others are going ??? I know 2 I covered above plus the frame rail one that all go to the black canister pictured. I know one goes directly to the fuel filter. THe other 2 I couldnt get truck off ground high enouh to see but when I get to shop I will figure it out.

10. dyrti

dyrti Veteran

Truck:
    werd... i'm sure this is an excellent start to what i'm looking at doing. i need to put mine back up on the stands today to remove the compressors and the air tank anyway so i'll see what, if any of these lines may have been left from the previous owner, but my guess is they are long gone, much like half the screws, nuts, and bolts on this thing. not to mention the mess of a wiring harness they left me. good thing the new motor i picked up came with the ecu and wiring harness, and the exhuast, and a brand new clutch/flywheel, and a k&n intake (stock replacement not cold air) all for $650 with only 89,000 original miles from a 91 (same as mine) ext cab 4x4 (not same as mine).

11. rgfrison

rgfrison Newbie

The line that runs into the frame is open on the end and dead ends a few inches into the frame, it runs from the bottom of the canister on mine. The bigger one on the top is a vent line for excess fuel pressure, it just filters un burned fuel vapor and vents into the frame. The whole canister can be deleted without changing anything on the fuel and fuel return lines.

Edit: if you have a mechanical fuel pump the three lines on it should be, from tank to fuel pump, pump to carb, and fuel return.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011