Fuel Pump Problems

Discussion in '1984-1988 Pickup Discussion' started by jayden hall, May 25, 2021.

1. jayden hall

jayden hall Newbie

Hey everyone, I’ve got a ‘85 with the 22re. I had to replace the fuel pump and bought a brand new one. Once I put it in the tank and mounted the tank back up and tried to get it to turn over, nothing happened, just a crank. So I took the pump out to make sure it was running correctly and it worked just fine. Put it back in the tank and same thing, nothing. I found the open circuit relay which people said could be the culprit. I unplugged the relay and tried the jumper wire technique. I put one end of the wire in the B+ spot and the other end into the FP slot. Tried to get it to turn and nothing, now it will not crank. So I took the jumper out and plugged the relay back in and now it will not even crank (it did before I pulled the relay off the first time). If anyone has any ideas to what my problem is please let me know. I’m hoping it could be a grounding problem or something small to fix. I don’t want to go and buy a new relay as they tend to be somewhat expensive. Any advice or tips are helpful, thank you.

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The ground should be tied to the oil pressure switch. Bad switch or no oil pressure.

3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I'm wondering if you have a short somewhere and, by jumping it you also shorted the relay connection point/wire. Test everything. The first time. Good insurance and you dnt gota do things 2/3 times. Keep us posted if you find a fix