Fuel cell sending unit

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Frank Nick, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

2B80AEC9-92BF-4579-85A0-47381AC6375E.jpeg I posted fuel cell info on the pre 88 page. I’m going to try the 89 and up. I put an rci cell in my truck this is what I have so far. This is a 10 gallon cell with a Holley sniper in tank pump. Still in the working stages. But I’m able to start the truck. My question is the sending unit! I tested the wiring one is ground I think is green. Hard to tell.
    There’s two wires with stripes maybe white and black. It’s hard to tell. I believe one is for the low fuel light because it blinks when I tested it. If I hook the other white wire to my rci sending unit and ground it, the gauge doesn’t work. But if I touch the low fuel light wire to the sender hot,the gauge works. Is this the correct way? By the way it works backwards says how’s full on empty.

Attached Files:

2. redman

redman Enthusiast

Yes, most fuel cells have a GM style sending unit. They are backwards to Toyota. I installed one in mine several years ago and can't remember which wire went to what (sorry), but I think something like 3 ohms is empty and 110 ohms is full on Toyota sending units and it is the opposite on GM style units. I know I used the factory wiring and did not add any new wires. I just have to remember that now, "E" means I have enough fuel and "F" means I need to fill up.

3. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

I figured it was a GM unit. The only way I can get it to work was to tie the two striped wires together and the ground wire. I don’t know if it’s right