Frame z

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by allirtu, Jan 28, 2023.

1. allirtu

allirtu Newbie

I feel like I’m going nuts because I can’t find a thread on this. When you z your frame, since you move your engine upwards wouldn’t it affect your pinion angle? With the small world of mini trucking nowadays half of the links in threads are dead need some input thanks

2. redman

redman Enthusiast

If Z'ing your frame you must be on air (correct)? If on air you must have some type of 4 link in the back? Easy to adjust the pinion angle with the link bars. When I did mine, I put the truck at my ride height and adjusted from there.

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Seth ( used to have Twisted Minis ) if I remember right had a art on that, if you Goggle it it should come up
    I had a pinion problem, that took some time to resolve, two piece drive line, forward mounted tr-link & forward mounted lower link bars, all adjustable. The answer was a double carden bearing at front of rear shaft & a slip joint at rear! My truck lays frame, not bodied or Z'ed.

4. allirtu

allirtu Newbie

Yes I have a bag on bar setup with a 1pc driveshaft. Could I get away with only adjusting the upper bars? Because my bags are mounted on the lowers

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You can adjust with just the upper, only issue is that you will be rocking the axle forward or backwards in the wheel well.

Easiest solution is make the lower bars adjustable at the axle side. But since you havent Z'd the frame yet, measure and see how much you can possibly drop the motor mounts to get it closer inline where it was.

I had to drop mine, Z was about 1.75" i believe and i dropped the engine down about .75" to 1" May have been a little too much tbh because now my exhaust downpipe is resting on the ground when laid out

6. allirtu

allirtu Newbie

you’re right that skipped my mind, I see a lot of people running 1.25 on their z so I might do the same since I’m going to be running 17in wheels

As for the motor mounts I’ll try to see what I can make when I pull the engine

jetas likes this.
  7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Set it up to lay out on a taller wheel/tire combo. Just in case