Engine oil smells like gas

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by nottoshabi, Mar 3, 2020.

1. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

I change the engine oil on a regular basis around 3k miles. After a month or so the oil smells like gas and is liquidie, it still feels like oil but why does it smell like gas? Any one has any idea why that is happening?

2. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    1. If you have a mechanical fuel pump attached to your block, that would mean that the pump diaphragm is torn or leaking or the seal is weak. Check out your fuel pump.
    (Old history moment example: Volkswagon fuel pump leaking into oil sump, can cause fire)

2. Carburetor vacuum port a second possibility.

3. Last guess, if carburetor, Float level to high, leaking fuel when engine is at rest..

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Pearce likes this.
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Could it be that its running rich and theres fuel getting past the piston rings and into the oil? My oil is the same way, smells like gas but still feels like oil

Pearce likes this.
  4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    From his recent postings he has installed an electrical pump. Did you note its operating pressure range on the pump. Possibly the pressure is to high and like said leaking fuel into the motor.

jetas likes this.
  5. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

The pump is oem. I don't think its the pressure. The carburetor was re-built a few years ago, it might be running rich. These carbs are hard to get them running right. I will look at the spark plugs and see what I get.

Thanks for the info this might be a good part to start looking. Are there diagrams on line about these carbs?

6. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
  7. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast