Engine dies at stop after a short drive

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by NickAyala25, Aug 2, 2018.

1. NickAyala25

NickAyala25 Newbie

Truck:
    1991 Toyota pickup single cab
    So my 22re likes to dies when I come to a stop after I take it for a small drive.

It was misfiring at idle and then it would die. So I checked the spark plugs and I had a bad#2 plug. I replaced all of them. I also cleaned the throttle. This fixed the misfiring at idle.

The compression check read 110, 110, 105, and 100.

Now after taking it on a 15 mile drive when I come to stop it idles low and then dies.

HELP PLEASE.

2. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    Does it always immediately start back up? Maybe check the voltages while the engine is running? those compression numbers seem pretty low

3. NickAyala25

NickAyala25 Newbie

Truck:
    1991 Toyota pickup single cab
    Yes it will immediately start back up but it will immediately die again if I don't feather the gas pedal.

On a cold start there seems to be no issues. But after it drives for about 15 miles and come to a stop it will die.

Also, here is an update, I have an exhaust leak where the down pipe meets the exhaust pipe.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  4. Clay

Clay Member

Truck:
    93 Pickup
    If it were me I would run a multimeter and see what the voltages are and maybe see if they are dropping right as it dies (meaning alternator probably). Maybe swap the ignition coil with a new or used one to check that? could be a drop of fuel pressure as well. or a vacuum leak. I wouldn't be worried about the exhaust leak. only one O2 sensor on these trucks and it only manages air/fuel ratio. not the extent of killing the engine though.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Could be the TPS

6. jjmartinez1987

jjmartinez1987 Member

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    I think you have low compression should be between 142psi -171psi with no more than 14psi variance between all four. BUT if you can get it going by giving it throttle I would try increasing the idle on the throttle body via the adjustment screw maybe you can get a consistent idle but at a higher rpm than usual.

7. Lee Gin

Lee Gin Newbie

Check valve clearance check timing then adjust carb idle.