Electronic Distribution?...

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Jonathan Warren, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Jonathan Warren

Jonathan Warren Newbie

Truck:
    1975 pickup
    So I have the 75 Toyota pickup with the stock 20R engine and I was just curious if anyone else has dabbled in the arts of Distributor conversions. I found a D.U.I Distributor that bolts directly into the 20R engine, getting rid of the coil, resistor, etc. Im not very familiar with this particular Distributor, so I was just hoping that someone could shed some light on this topic. I also heard that the custom D.U.I distributor won't be sitting up against the head on the engine like the original points system. I am under the impression that it will be sitting a little away from the engine just kinda suspended in the air, is this correct?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this topic! :)

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    20R has an electronic distributor already.

Im not sure what OEM ignition mine had when i got it but it was just the coil and the ignition control module, No resistor.

A few guys on here have done the DUI dizzy and have good results, others have gone with Pertronix and also had good luck.

I personally went with a MSD StreetFire box

Jonathan Warren likes this.
  3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Go to the DUI site. They’ll have all the answers to your questions.
    DUI custom builds distributors for your particular engine (including modifications) using GM HEI parts. They’re far superior to any aftermarket replacement ignition on the market.
    Helpful hint, if you go this route you don’t have to buy the DUI spark plug wires. Any early 4 cylinder GM HEI wire set will work. i.e. Chevette.
    Get ready to spend around $350 for the setup. Well worth it. It does away with all the factory coils and igniters.

4. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    DUI also has really amazing support. Super knowledgeable and very responsive.

5. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
  6. Jonathan Warren

Jonathan Warren Newbie

Truck:
    1975 pickup
    I bought a brand new set of spark plug wires from my local auto parts store while I was rebuilding the engine, are u saying they probably won't work with the DUI dizzy? You have to excuse my ignorance, i'm pretty new to this. Also, what would be the pros to using a the DUI dizzy rather than just using a Pertronix module? If I remember right the DUI will offer a little boost of HP as well as allowing you to get a bigger gap distance on the spark plug. Am I missing anything?

7. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    HEI ignition needs specific wires that work with it. Standard wires will not work. The big plus from my standpoint is all the internal and replacement parts are standard GM available at any parts supply house. The ignition coil is located inside the cap giving maximum spark duration while firing. You go with other brands, you’re dependent on that specific manufacturer for repair parts.
    The HEI has been in use for over 30 years and is very dependable.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  8. Jonathan Warren

Jonathan Warren Newbie

Truck:
    1975 pickup
    I really appreciate the info on this Fred, this is all really helping me to figure out exactly what I want to do.

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I've ran both dui and pertronix. If you don't want to drop a ton of money pertronix is pretty good. As long as you got a dizzy with the advance mechanism working good. I bought mine from advance auto with one of the 20 percent coupons they always have online. Got the ignitor 2 and flamethrower 2 .6ohm coil for about 150. You can get it done for about 100 with the ignitor 1 and 3.0omh coil.

The dui I would buy through lce if you want the shorty version. Otherwise you'll pay 100 bucks more. You can't run power steering with the shorty. I'll drop a pic of it installed. It has infinite timing adjustment. So you can put the dizzy in the wrong spot and turn it wherever it needs. The live wires are a bad deal and I don't really recommend them as well. The one nice thing is they are thick. That also makes it harder to get you timing light clip around them. They are not that long. I bought the lce wire loom and I can't use the rout for the first cylinder. Another thing is I ran into the cap being messed up out of the box. The pin on number 1 was bent a little and was making some noise. I hit up performance distributors and they were really good with customer service. Told them my deal. They had me send a picture of the pin then after I did that they said send them the invoice and they will send a cap and rotor. The only thing that would make the dui better is if they had rev control out of the box or a programmable ignition module. They have some options for rev control but aren't that good.

I did learn about a different dizzy with programmable ignition by a company call Progression distributors I think it was. But they don't have one for a 4 cylinder toyota. Hopefully they will do something soon for these engines. I would think it would be the bigger market then old inline 6 land cruisers that they have one for. Maybe performance distributors will take note of them and come up with something for the dui.

Got the new cap and it wasn't any better.
    1600714002651_5957844852_3b56b037.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    77bluyota, Jonathan Warren and jetas like this.
  10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Looking into more distributors 123 distributors have a built to order programmable dizzy for these motors. Not really suggesting it. Just throwing it out there for anyone interested in the options.

11. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    1977 Toyota RN23 Shortbed
    Pearce likes this.