Electrical effected by rain

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by nottoshabi, Feb 15, 2019.

1. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

Its been raining in so cal for the past few weeks and its made the electrical in the truck go hey wire. The symptoms are: Low voltage alternator, low lights in the truck dials, and head lights are also low. The charge light stays on the whole time when I drive. Has any one encounter this issue before? I'm thinking some of the wires are a little bit corroded, some sand paper and electrical grease would help.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Corrosion is a big one, also grounds. Everything on these trucks grounds thru itself

3. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Hmm, has the charge light stayed on before? I'm currently experiencing the same. My Charge light is always dimmly lit.

4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Check your alternator belt. Be sure it’s tight enough.

5. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

@KS.ID The charge light used to come on and off. After I turned the truck off, slamming the door closed would sometimes turn it off and on. Since its been raining the charge light has been on the whole time while driving and yes slightly lit.

The manual does not say anything about the charging light, also if I dont drive the truck for a week or two the battery drains completely. I have a constant drain somewhere. And I think this where my problem is, I just cant seem to find where the lose connection is. Closing the doors shifts the connections around cause that's when the charge light comes on and off.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Door pin switches, Dome light and i believe the charge light or oil light are all on the same circuit

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
  8. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Does that also cover the wiring for a 77?

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Im not sure but i cant imagine it being too much different. GM used a similiar set up too.

10. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Interesting... My truck exhibits the same symptoms too, If I go more than a couple weeks without taking her out, the charge light beams brighter and the start up is more difficult.

Seems my charge light is trying to tell me something is out of sorts.

11. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

@jetas Door pin switches are removed I used the whole to run wires for the automatic door locks and speakers, also the dome light has been disconnected before I bought the truck. Those wires might be making connections while I drive or slam the door closed. I will look into it. Thanks for sharing.

A little update, one wire from the alternator has completely corroded of the connection. I reconnected it with a new connection piece. Also sand paper the ground connection to the body and pulled the connections to the headlights and sand the light connections down as well. The headlight still wont turn on in low beam but will turn on in high beam. The charge light is still on, got the alternator checked today at a local auto parts store and it failed the recharge test will replace soon and see if the charge light will go off. But still cant explain the headlight. Its weired why it wont work in low beam but in high beam.

12. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

Replaced alternator and soldered some of the wires under the dash that were clamped. The charged light still stays on.