Drive Shaft Question...

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by mprtftr, Jun 5, 2011.

1. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    Ok... started putting the 4runner front end on the truck yesterday. We took the bed off the truck today to clean it up and start sanding the cab and fix some things before priming/painting the truck (haven't decided yet because I still want to do the body swap) and noticed that evidently, on hard bumps, the cab cross member has been hitting my drive shaft. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, how did you solve it? From what I can tell, the damage is only superficial scratches that go around the shaft. I just want to take whatever preventive measures I can before it gets too bad. I have the torsions turned down a little, a b/j flip, 3" blocks, cut bump stops, and a pulled middle leaf. I've been looking at the bump stops that Beefed Taco sells and I was just wondering if it would only get worse with something that short or if that's what I need. Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

2. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    most people start running into issues around the 5" drop area. the driveshaft will on occasion bump into that crossmember if it sits lower than 5" drop at the rear. it would be a wise idea to build a notch for your center crossmember much like i did. i was dropped at around 7" so i had it done and was never an issue again. here is what i did.

cut away enough area off the crossmember, then plated it.

[​IMG]
    By alisn4x4 at 2011-06-05

then, built a nice rounded tubular bridge for it and called it a day. **notice the bridge curve extends just slightly above the body line of the cab.

[​IMG]
    By alisn4x4 at 2011-06-05

3. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual

I wish i could see these pics