Door Speakers... HELP!! :-)

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by mprtftr, May 7, 2012.

1. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    I was just wondering how you guys are running the wire to speakers when you install them in the doors. Could you guys post up a couple pics to show where you drilled for the wire in the door jambs and how you protect the wire (loom, etc.)? I'm kinda stuck as to where I should drill the holes so that the wire doesn't get pinched, or worse yet, cut. Thank you guys for your help.

2. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    just drill wherever you want, mine are about in the middle...get some grommets, you can find them at harbor freight pretty cheap, as long as you dont have a ton of slack between the door it wont get pinched

3. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    ^^^Pretty much. I am actually doing this tomorrow. Check out my latest pictures.

4. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    You don't have to drill at all. There is a single hole centered in each hinge just big enough for a speaker wire wrapped in split loom.

5. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    ^^I didn't have any holes on mine, hmmm at least I dont remember, been such a long time since I put speakers in the doors

6. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    You should run them through the stock wire loom tube!
    The design not a straight through design is so that the wires inside will not brake from the movement of the door!! :cool:

7. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    @Lit... I didn't see a hole in the hinges, so I'm going to have to check on that again to make sure I didn't miss anything.
    @Truck... My truck is a base model. There are no wire loom tubes betwen the body and the doors. I'm actually considering the billet wire loom or if I find the holes Lit is talking about, the split loom for the time being.
    Thanks, guys.

8. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    Mine didnt have the hole for the wires either. For right now I have the wires going through a hole that I drilled about half way up the door. However, while going through the u-pull-it yards, I discovered that 2000 or so Saturn's have a very small and nice shaped grommet in they're doors for the wires. The window controls are on the center console, so the rubber sleeve is just big enough to fit speaker wires and not massive like on most cars. I got a pair and will be fitting them in with the speaker upgrade.
    You might want to take a look at them or other ones in the junk yard.

9. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Only ones with factory power windows have holes in the door. The SR5 Pickups and 4Runners. Base and DLX don't.