Denver Boot Wheel Lock

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 5-7HEAVEN, Aug 17, 2013.

1. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

2. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    Where do you live? I'm never coming to visit.

I don't even roll my windows up most of the time.

3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    I didn't even know you could buy those. I thought only fat meter maids who hate their life could rock those onto a tire. It would keep people from stealing it, but damn I've never lives in an area that sketchy. I rarely even lock my doors living out in the country on acreage.

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Have you thought about hidden kill switches, solex door lock cylinders or an alarm? What about a race car style battery disconnect? Or take your distributor rotor with you at night.

Or you could always just try to bait the thrives towards other people's rigs. Like leaving keys randomly outside cars or signs on their windows that say FREE :ROFL:

5. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Sad to say, car theft is a major crime problem where I live. Toyota trucks in any condition are hot, as are mopeds and other vehicles. I live on a busy street, and the truck was parked fronting a large apartment complex. You'd think someone would've called the cops. The thief was in my truck pounding and sawing for a long time, but couldn't break the transmission lock. If the dummass had seen the lock, he wouldn't have busted my ignition first. Maybe I forgot to set the alarm that night.

Anyway, I put a larger padlock on the tranny, then ran a motorcycle chain over the padlock to the steering wheel, so the next thief can't use a saw or chisel. Then I ran a huge FUGGETTABOUTIT chain around the console to the steering wheel. For visibility, "The Club" is on there.

And I make sure the alarm is set.

These wheel locks should work well. They'll need a tow truck with dollies to steal my ride.

LOL, the funny part about this is that my truck is a rusty beater. I use it to commute to work and go surfing. I go to extremes to protect my ride, even tho it's a POS.I had the seller remove the stereo and door speakers, and left the big holes visible. No radio, either. The mags came with the truck, but it has Gorrilla locks on each stud. I leave my vents and rear window unlocked, so the thief doesn't break my glass to find out there's nothing inside to steal. It's all or nothing. They have to take the whole truck. That's why I need the Denver boot locks. and the motorcycle chains, and the padlocks, and "The Club". Actually, the cost to secure my truck is minimal. "The Club" was free, Fuggettaboutit chains came from my bike, Denver boots under $100. Previous owner had the alarm and power locks installed for $500.

6. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Well it sounds like you have it all solved. Once you described the area it parks in it made perfect sense. Lots of foot traffic always leads to break ins. Happened to my old 92 alot in a bad area. Never tried to steal it, just my stuff or leave garbage in the bed.

If I think of any other ways to add to your setup ill post them up. A quick release steering wheel setup could be put on for less than $100. Grant 3 bolt adapter hub is about $25, summit racing has 3 bolt quick releases for about 25 and a decent 3 bolt wheel for 50 or so. I'm sure you could find a wheel style that isn't flashy to draw attention. And it's an obvious deterrent. But it would eliminate a few of your tricks. Not sure if that's a good or bad option to ya.

7. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Thanks, standard. I didn't realize quick-releases were cheap. The ones on the internet looks to be $3-400. Will look into it.

8. HGSR

HGSR Newbie

Truck:
    1985 standard cab short bed base model.
    I hate to think I am going to have to watch over my truck like I did my GSR swapped civic..... Great looks like a alarm my be worth having.

9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    The ones I saw go between a 3 bolt steering wheel and column adapter hub. Moves it towards you about an inch. Check speedway motors too.

10. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

If my truck didn't look like a beater, I'd have to watch it even closer. Thieves are nuts here. I feel like boobytrapping the interior with large fish hooks and a bear trap. I'd prolly end up getting sued by the thief.....AND lose the lawsuit.:verdict_in:

11. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Holy crap. Where do you live? Just bag it and lay it out...

12. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Remember in one of the cheech and Chong movies he had a beat up low rider car. He had a barn door style latch from the cab to door with a fat padlock. Kind of crude but would surely keep them out of the inside.

13. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

LOL, I'd never place a padlock on my door, altho I've seen them on the icream cream/candy trucks who cruise thru the neighborhoods and near schools. Thieves would crowbar the hasp and ruin my sheet metal, or bust the glass and crawl in.

Toggle switches will work. I have a battery switch in my other car. If I install one, then I'd have to rewire the alarm and clock.

I bought this one yesterday. I can use it on my truck or my 1957 Chevy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denver-Whee...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c36006af2&vxp=mtr

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  14. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

LOL, If bagging it means dropping it, I'm not into that. This is a beach car/commuter. Looks like crap, but I want it there when I finish surfing and get out of the water.

15. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

The boots arrived. It was packed in thin cardboard and the carton was almost ripped away on one side. The shipper was nervous, figuring I'd hit the roof because of the damaged parcel. I lol'd and told him this part would be literally lying on the road, not on my dining table. He was surprised it was a Denver boot. "Aren't these illegal?" "Yeah, for booting illegally parked cars, but not your own." I said.

The boots went on easily on my truck's 16" wheels AND my Chevy's 15" Rally wheel.

I'm glad I bought 'em. :headbang:

16. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

It's been 4 months, and I still put my tire boot on everywhere I park. I still have a lock on my stick. To protect the lock or weld tabs from being sawed or chiseled off, I wrapped the stick shift with a locked motorcycle chain. Also installed was a 1"x3" steel strap across the hood latch knob on the dash. The piece de resistance is another lengthy motorcycle chain. One end is secured under the tab which secures the stick shift lock. The chain then runs to the dash console bracket, then loops back and twists around the steering wheel spoke. Another long motorcycle chain wraps around the driver's bucket seat back, then locks tightly to the other chain at the steering wheel. The seat is moved to the forward position. It is impossible to sit in the driver's seat, or hacksaw the thick FUGGETABOUTIT chains. The thief would have to saw thru the steering wheel TWICE to free it. The thick chain would have to be straddled, unless he cut thru the console's dash bracket. Then he'd have to cut the chain wrapped around the stick shift, so his chisel or hacksaw could get to the padlock or the welded tabs on the locking stick. With that done, then he can torch off the tire boot.

And then there's the alarm. And the locked steering.:D

Granted, it takes several minutes to secure the truck. If I'm too lazy to do it, I drive my Camry.

17. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    No fawking way would I live somewhere that required that level of bull**** to keep what is mine from being stolen.

The keys don't leave the ignition on any of my trucks. Ever!

I do have a removable wheel on my auto cross truck since the cage will make it nearly impossible with it in place.

[​IMG]

18. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    I'd have to agree with whitetrash, if I had to carry 7000 pounds of chains, locks, and boots, I'd take that money and move the heck away from that place.