Custom Interior

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 93Yoter, Jan 21, 2007.

1. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    Ok i've decided to do my interior first so I can get it out of the way and so I can finish one part of my truck; since interior is something I can probally do well myself, I'm doing it. So I ripped apart my entire dash today so I need to decide what I want to do painted, tweed etc and so I can rewire a bunch of crap that I screwed up when I first started on my truck (self taught trial by fire lol). So I have a gray and black interior right now so my plans as of now are to rip up the old gray carpet and install a little sound deading and replace the gray carpet with new custom fit black carpet; so first question what are some good quality companies that make black carpet for my truck? The stock bench seat I'm having reupholstered this summer in black cloth. So for the dash I'm undecided but I think I want to smooth the black pieces and paint them black. How is this done correctly? For the rest of the dash, door panels, and headliner I'm not sure what I want but I'm thinking some sort of cloth possibly tweed. Suggestions? Also if people could post pics of interiors from 89-94 pickups I would appreciate it. Thanks for the help!

2. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    www.stockinteriors.com this a good site for carpet. I know toydlf has ordered from them and was very happy. I like tweed alot because you can do it yourself and it is cheap and looks good on these old trucks. Take your time and google alot of different ideas you have. I did tweed on my ranger and I think it turned out great. Talk to toydlyf he can help you out some too. Just try to learn before you start. I think you will be happy if you do.

3. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    Ya I'm definately going to take my time. I started on the black pieces today with some duplicolor dash primer and paint. I'm going to completely smooth the black pieces down in order to get rid of the texture.

4. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
    08 xB and 97 Tacoma std cab
  5. CarbonRevo

CarbonRevo Member

I say toss the bench, and buy some buckets. Best thing I ever did to my truck, your back will like it more as well!

6. TOYDLYF

TOYDLYF Member

Truck:
    2001 tacoma
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

okok so i it was my first time tweeding.....and i already fixed that piece around the center vent/top dash trim before yall split me on it...hahaha
    here are a few pics...and i got it cheap and quick from yourautotrim.com

7. TOYDLYF

TOYDLYF Member

Truck:
    2001 tacoma
    [​IMG]

disreguard the date friggin camera date is wrong..pic was last mon morn...

i quick pic of the truck....still shoppin a grill and the new hood is on ready

8. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    I like that. How hard is it to tweed? How's it done and what do I need? I still might paint everything though but i'll see how the black comes out first plus I'm discovering it takes a lot of time to get ride of all the texture. wet sand, primer wait 10 min, primer wait 10 min, primer wait 30 min, wet sand, and repeat lol. Almost done with the cup holder though lol.

9. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis Addict

Truck:
    1980 Toyota
    The Minitruckin on the dash pad safely dates the truck to last week. Lol. :D

10. TOYDLYF

TOYDLYF Member

Truck:
    2001 tacoma
    THANKS HAHAHA
    it isnt too hard, and prep is easy ..
    i used rubbing alcohol and paper towels to wipe down the surface real good

spray glue for headliner trim upholstery(advance or auto zone)
    i did manage to re color (spray paint for carpet, next to the sparay glue at auto zone :D ) kinda brighter blue(ford blue ish) and i have some sculpting foam coming to do the 2 doors... gonna do flame/toyota thing on the doors for that 3d effect before i tweed the doors im gonna spray the bottom dash trim under the steering wheel black like i sprayed the radio trim, and gonna be searchin for some tan buckets....

11. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis Addict

Truck:
    1980 Toyota
    I've always found that the 3M spray adhesive has held up better, especially when it comes to heat. Your dash will see heat due to the constant sunlight. This makes some glues want to peel, even after curing. The 3M stuff is like $10 to the can versuse $5-6.

12. TOYDLYF

TOYDLYF Member

Truck:
    2001 tacoma
    i paid 10 bux a can still got more than half of the 2nd can lefti think the first can was permatex
    than the 2nd is loctite

13. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
    lookin good Dan, are you going to do something similar to what was on my taco door panels?. if so i think i still have some hi-rez pics i can send ya for a better look.

14. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    How hard is it to swap in buckets from a 4 runner or SR5. I would like to use seats that bolt into the the two for the bench on each side so what are my options? So I'm still thinking of what I want and tweed looks like it has a pretty course weave which I might want something a little smoother looking. So what other fabrics are commonly used? I'm definately going to remove all the texture from the black parts on the dash and smooth em all out along with the steering wheel column cover whenever carbon sends it to me and paint them black. Then either the gray parts are going to be still gray but either fabric or smoothed and painted which will take forever ding it all by hand bymyself with rattle cans lol. Carpet will definately be black and headliner i'm undecided on black or gray but its definately last. The bench or buckets with be wither black or black with gray inserts and maroon piping and stiching to match the truck. Door panels I have no idea how to do.

15. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
    i'm not sure about the 4runner buckets but the sr5 buckets should bolt right up to the existing holes from the bench on the outsides and you would have to drill out the holes on the insides for the inner mounts of the seats. that is if toyota did the same on that generation as they did with the tacos. shouldnt be too hard maybe a few hours total. just make sure to look before you drill.

16. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    drilling isn't a big deal if I really wanted to I could go down to my universities machine shop and machine any bracket I want but I don't really want to spend all day on it drilling and tapping 4 holes would take less than an hour.

17. Synyster

Synyster Enthusiast

Truck:
    if you got a set of buckets from the same generation truck you would only have to drill out 4 holes for the inner brackets of the seats. the outers should align right up.

18. CarbonRevo

CarbonRevo Member

I'll shoot you all down! *bam...bam...bam bam bam!* :)

I have '94 4runner SR5 buckets in my truck. Oddly enough, a 2wd cab is the EXACT same as a 4wd cab. They just put on different front ends. There are SIX total holes holding in your stock bench and driver seatbelt along with the double stacked middle/passenger seat belt. Why create new tooling just to differ the 4runner and SR5 bodies with a couple extra holes over a 2wd/4wd bench truck?

You can install 3 bolts per seat, per side using the outside two holes, and the rear inner hole for the seatbelt mount. The holes are in the perfect spot, as with a bucket seat truck...thats where the seatbelts mount too. Since the bracket for the outside holes runs across over to the middle of the truck, there is a spot for the 4th bolt with the hole already drilled, however no nut is on the backside of the bracket. So the easiest way is to weld on a nut to the backside of the bracket so your not running a 4 1/2 by 1/2" bolt through the floorboard. Like I said, the 4runner SR5 and 2wd/4wd SR5 bodies are exactly the same as the most un-optioned truck there is. They just saved 4 cents per truck by not welding on these two nuts for you.

I decided to just use the 3 holes as it's more then adequit if the stock bench is only with 4 total. The seats are a direct drop in no matter the year (89-95 styles will fit ANY 89-95 toyota truck or 4runner no matter how so optioned the truck was.) A 95 4runner cab (to the back of the rear seats) has all of the EXACT same mounting points as a regular cab pick up, or even a extended cab pickup.

Just make sure when you go to bolt them in, that you don't tighten 1 bolt at a time, you'll get frustrated and swear they don't fit. They do! Lightly screw in your first bolt in the top outter-most hole, then do the rear inner-most hole, then do the rear outter-most hole threading them all in a couple of threads that way you can push and shove on the seat to line up the holes. You think it's difficult just lining up two seats, try doing it with a huge sub box between them. I have to run seatbeltless on the passenger side because of it! :(

Good luck finding cheap 4runner/ SR5 buckets. I payed 400 plus 75 shipping off ebay! Won them by 99 cents!

When we found the buckets on ebay, my dad said he would give me 100 for my bench for his 87 (he had a ripped up worn out vinyl seat). That seat from my 92 dropped right in no problems. So as far as I know, the 84-95 truck have the same seat mounting holes ATLEAST.

Hope my long ass post helps you all!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  19. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    Very helpful!!!! thanks carbon. Does anyone know if anyother toyota seats bolt up like celica, supra, mr2 seats etc. We'll see what I do though cause I can get my bench completely redone for about $250.

20. CarbonRevo

CarbonRevo Member

I have heard civic and prelude seats fit. I don't know if they are direct drop in though. If they are, they'll be cheap...god knows there's 300 gagllion civics out there.

Not to mention, all these kids thinking sparcos, recaros and brides belong in a civic...there'll be tons of stock seats.

I'll also be shipping your cover tomorrow, if you can paypal me the funds tonight.