Combination

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by coconut, Aug 14, 2010.

1. coconut

coconut Newbie

So I went racing and wasn't too happy with the performance on my truck. i currently have a 1989 with a 3.90 rear and a 4 speed tranny. I want to upgrade but i am not sure what a good combination would be without too many mods. I was thinking a w55 tranny with a 3.56 rear. I currently have only headers, wires and exhaust. I noticed I was strong on take off but by the time i hit 3rd gear the other truck are just pulling away and i was unable to catch up.

Help!

2. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    What was your time?

I ran 11.1X in the 1/8th before I did the carb swap.

I had a 3.42 open gear,
    Comp 280/280
    22R carb
    tri-Y
    20/22R hybrid
    Four speed
    And sticky tires.

:puke: Faster then stock. But not what I thought it would be. Then I bolted on a 500 Holley and it runs sooooo much better it isnt even funny. It really rips and feels like a solid second faster, at least. :lol:

Proper timing has ALOT to do with how the top end pulls on an engine. Try experementing with it.

As a rule of thumb, you want to retard it for the top end, and advance it for the low end. I run 14* and it likes it. :shrug:

Heres a vid. Not my fastest run, I spun em a little...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgtT12gDpGU

3. Poopy

Poopy Member

You might want to look at a W58 from a supra, they are the closest ratio of the W Series.

4. coconut

coconut Newbie

Did u change ur valves and all that when u installed the 280cams?

5. coconut

coconut Newbie

And for the w58 what mods am I gonna have to do to have it set on my 22r

6. Poopy

Poopy Member

the shifter is further back so if you have a bench seat it might get in the way....you need your bellhousing, and I think thats about it. It should bolt in.

7. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Nope. It still has stock valves and springs. Unbelivably, I did not float the valves at 6,500 rpm. Wierd :shrug:

Ive heard its the best "street" cam, but IDK. Plus you have fuel injection dont you? Im no expert on the limits of that system.

Ive swapped in a w58 out of a 5MGE Supra. On an otherwise stock truck, its gunna feel faster, but the stopwatch may say otherwise. Do it anyways :waytogo:

It was almost a bolt in deal. The rear trans mount needed a little hammering,I needed a W5X to 22R(E) bellhousing, and the speedo was 10-15% off. That was it.

8. coconut

coconut Newbie

hey thanks for the reply guys. about the 11.1 at 1/8th i hit 11.7 but came in at 18.9 at the 1/4 mile. as for the cams i still have the mechanical fuel pump installed i'm not sure of an electric fuel pump. which pump is best for me to use with a weber 38.