CodyX36's 1972 Hilux, soon to be 2RZ swapped, Build Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by CodyX36, Mar 17, 2013.

1. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Got my '76 sold. Picked up this '72 a couple weeks ago. Drove down from Seattle to Salem, OR. Had AAA tow it up since they have a 200 mile limit. Truck does run and drive awesome, just wanted to play it safe. No mods yet. My buddy who parts out trucks just picked up a wrecked '98 Tacoma and put aside the 2RZ motor w/ transmission, ECU, harness, cats, etc. for the truck to be swapped into, that will probably be started this summer. I do want to do a disc conversion up front, lower the truck 2 or 3 inches and get some better looking wheels, paint, redone bench seat, the usual. Will keep everyone updated here. Thanks for looking.

Drove to nearby lot after purchased to wait for tow truck.
    [​IMG]

Ready to go up to Seattle.
    [​IMG]

Home, ladder rack taken off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

White wheels from my '76 swapped on.
    [​IMG]

Shot my buddy got.
    [​IMG]

2. Rcksqrl

Rcksqrl Enthusiast

Truck:
    '85 4Krawler, '67 Stout
    Nice start man!

3. 83Azmini

83Azmini Member

Truck:
    83 shortbed
    2rz whoo! Im lovin my re in my 83 but a 2 or 3rz would be the bees knees! Lookin forward to your build man!

4. kma

kma Member

Nice truck!

5. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    love the square light round hole look very survivor

6. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Thanks guys. Only reason I'm going with the 2rz over the 3rz is with the balancing shafts in the 3rz motors, they don't take supercharger or turbocharger applications as good. It's almost identically the same motor, just the 3rz has 15hp or so more. 2rz turbo in the long run will be much more ideal, more money yes, but with no weight behind it with the 5spd, it'll be great. riceratyota, yeah the brace was broken so the guy just duck taped the light in, luckily the ones from my '76 were the same, so I swapped one out before I sold, hehe.

7. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    This will be brilliant with the RZ in it, even as a standard install it will be plenty to wake the old girl up!

Make sure you get lots of detail of the engine in/out and any custom work (particularly engine brackets & measurements) as they could be of use/interest to others on here. We all love pictures :)

8. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Thanks man, I'll definitely be going through the motor inside and out, I'm getting a good deal on the whole swap, but the motor has 210k on it. But because I'm getting it for so cheap, I'll be fine with that because later on when I have to put a new 2RZ in it, I'll already have the harness, ECU, trans, etc. Lots of pictures and measurements will be taken.

9. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Picked up a parts truck the other day for $500. On Craigslist, it was posted it as, "90% of the truck parts, bunch of parts new in box". I didn't really believe it until I actually saw. Supposedly the past owner had started the project about a 15 years ago I think he said, but got injured and couldn't finish, so he got rid of it to this guy I got it from, and he didn't have time for it, and decided to sell. Anyway, the frame is completely cleaned up, plus ball joints, coil springs, leafs, bushings, everything. Brand new from Toyota. Truck was left outside, so the freshly painted cab is rusted, the bed is a bit beat up, but the bed floor of it is insanely clean, because it was covered, so might be doing a bed floor swap.

New parts, in box. Guy walks me inside his garage where he starts pulling down boxes and boxes of brand new parts, original toyota boxes, that were bought in the 90's. Guessed the guy called every toyota dealership in the country and had parts shipped to him. Lights, grille, mini grille under hood, bumper, etc. Used and spare parts include, doors, two tailgates, windows, door panels, tons more. This is definitely a steal of a deal, once my whole project is done I'll have a lot of spare parts if anyone is looking. Gonna be a while, but eventually I will have to sell my used parts off. Pictures below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dirty front bumper, but mint.
    [​IMG]

In the tube is the brand new small grille that is located under the good.
    [​IMG]

Front main grille, brand new. 2nd used mini grille.
    [​IMG]

Taillights and fender blinkers, brand new.
    [​IMG]

Door handles, brand new.
    [​IMG]

Tailgate, small bent in lower corner, but should clean up and paint good.
    [​IMG]

Not a fan of the green, but everything down here is brand new.
    [​IMG]

Clean frame.
    [​IMG]

Leafs, shackles, bolts, all new. Freshly painted with no rust.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite picture.
    [​IMG]

10. Shifty

Shifty Member

Truck:
    RN16
    Wow, what a score!!!

11. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    2 awesome scores within the same month!!! great finds!

1st dibs on a dashpad if you got one. A dome light and upper mini hood grill too!

Again, great scores!

12. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Dash pad is one of the only things that wasn't there, they were in the process of making one out of fiberglass or something, needs work. Dome light I might have but I do for sure have the grille. I'll talk to you down the road about selling.

13. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    cool beans

Keep me informed!

14. bendiesel

bendiesel Member

Truck:
    83 locked and geared and 88 runner mild daily driver
    Nice score on both trucks. Right after i bought my 70, I saw yours pop up on craigs. keep us informed on the swap. I'm planning a 2/3rz maybe a 1uz but thats a long shot. i"ll drop it on you guys after my runner project is done.

15. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    GREAT score on the NOS Toyota parts!!!

16. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Thanks guys, yes a 1UZ would be awesome but that's a whole lot more I'm sure. Swap probably won't start for a couple months, honestly, getting room in the shop to get both trucks side by side, plus get the Tacoma in there to pull the motor, trans, all that stuff. Then rebuilding it all. Plus since the frame is all done, I would like to get the cab all sanded and primered and painted. Thats a whole lot of more money to put into it, but seems like this would be the best time to do it. What do you guys think?

17. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
    DAMN you scored on the NOS parts. I been looking for some NOS taillights forever! If you ever want to sell anything let me know!!! Aloha

18. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    hit the jack pot on spare parts!

19. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Thanks guys. kmghawaii I PM'ed you back about spare parts I'll have. Anyone have any input about what I should do paint wise, since I'll already be at the stage of taking the cab off? Also, if I held off to get it painted until after the swap. Would it be fairly easy to lift the cab and remove fenders from the chassis in the future?

20. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Lifting the cab off for paint is not needed unless you want to paint the under side the same color u can remove the front end and the bed and have good access to the bare cab and put the rest of the body work on Dolly's and horses that's the way I did mine if u don't wanna fool with undoing the work u did to get the 2rz in there . And as far as colors that can make your head spin sometimes