Clutch, rear seal question

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 22R88, Sep 21, 2015.

1. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    My rear seal appears to be leaking. I plan to study up on clutch replacement and this fall/winter drop the trans and replace the clutch, rear main seal, front main seal and re seal the oil pan gasket. I would like to buy a clutch kit that includes a new flywheel. What is a good one ? does not need to be a high performance lightweight one. Any tips appreciated

22R88

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I don't know of a kit with a new flywheel, but I do suggest looking at marlin crawlers clutch kits. Very good quality, and reasonable pricing. I had the 1600lb HD kit in my old truck, held up very well to many clutch drops, burnouts and racing, aswell as daily driving.

You may be able to get a new flywheel from them, if not it shouldn't be much to get yours surfaced at a local machine shop

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Marlin carries some fantastic clutches but for standard driving duties they are sever overkill. Any parts store clutch will do but if you'd like a "good" one find a Luk. They make a very nice OEM quality setup. Many parts stores carry turned flywheels these days too.

As for the reseal the seals are straight forward, the oil pan will come out once you drop the steering down by unbolting the idler arm from the frame, turning the wheels to the drivers side and pulling the crossmember between the lower control arms.

4. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
  5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    They both look like typical chicom parts. They'll be fine for what you're doing.