cheap locked stock fan

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by ShoNuff, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    guaranteed to spin or your money back

when im offroading i spend alot of time @ a high rev or redline, without much ground speed and the stock fan wont move enuff air. I have also noticed that if ya spend a lot of time like that the fuid from the fan will magicly disapear, only to reapear all over your eng bay <_< . now you have this cool fan that looks like it werks in the driveway but when you start moving the incoming air stops it, i have fixed this problem the only way i know how....with a big drill bit

pro's: fan spins all the time, run water in 90+ temps, stay cool in the most demanding of situations

cons: takes a lil longer to warm up, revs up a lil slower, may kill your water pump faster(ive had one on a stock 20r w/150k for 40k)

parts list:
    3 large identical bolts and nuts
    4 fender mount screws

first ya need a stock fan ;) now take off the four nuts that hold the blades on
    [​IMG]

now remove the 4 screws that are left on the cover, use a big phillips or vice grips as these have some torque and strip easy but dont worry you dont need em just get em off
    [​IMG]

use a rubber mallet and a flat screwdriver ta pry it apart watch out for the fluid. notice the three holes in the fly wheel
    [​IMG]

find the biggest bit ya got close to the size of the 3 holes

drill one hole throught the back plate, watch out as the clutch will catch on the bit on the backside, use a vice
    [​IMG]

put the biggest bolt you can fit through the hole, if your buying stuff get a shanked bolt.
    [​IMG]

didnt really need this pic but my tape measure is cool i think you'll agree
    [​IMG]

put a nut on the bolt to lock the two parts so the next 2 holes are easier to do, and aligined properly...MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

install all three bolts and nuts use locktight and tighten the crap out of them
    [​IMG]

if you have a power sterring pump with the bracket that bolts to the front of the head skip down ta where it says "power steering"

manual steering rack or box

remove the 4 studs from the back plate, find 4 fender mount bolts
    [​IMG]

bolt the fan on with them in the holes for the studs, now your done. install it and marvel at how cool your eng runs

power steering

now i forgot about this part while doing this so i got pissed off and didnt take pics but i got another fan and will do it again if ya really need em.

teh thing is, with the method discribed above the fan is too close to the bolt that holds the p/s bracket on, so it overlaps the fan by about 1/2 and makes the most horrible noise :wall: and no amout of "self clearancing" will make it shut up and if you strip a water pump to fan nut and your vice grips suck you have to take off the radiator and grill to fix it :mad:

anyway...

the cover you removed has 8 mount holes in it you need the thicker ones to act as spacers and the cover wont fit back on.

so stick just the thicker "spacer" in a vice and give it about 3 good whacks and the cover should go flying leaving the spacer in the vice cut off clean. you could use a band saw or some nifty tool i dont have to seperate the spacers :p

now take the 4 "spacers" and put them on the leftover studs, put the fan on top and install the 4 nuts with lock tight.

congratulations not only did you make somethin cool but you got ta break stuff in the process, have a beer :waytogo:

2. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    [​IMG]

If your not comfy with drilling holes here's and alternative...

Just follow nuff's directions above but, skip the drilling part and pour about 3 tablespoons into the front half of the clutch assy. Bolt it all back together and your done. The fan will have more drag... :waytogo:

3. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    locked mine temporaraly the switch to a electric fan this tip works good if your in a pinch

4. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    lock it up with jb weld worked for years till i figure out about electric fans