camshaft confusion.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 22r, Apr 26, 2010.

1. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    which of the three camshafts should i get.
    i want a rough idle and high end.

Comp cams 280/280
    TRD 283/283
    Crane cams 302/302

anyone had any experiences with any of these?

2. Nook

Nook Addict

No experience with those particular sticks, but the Crane 302/302 is gonna give you the lumpiest idle. Bigger is not always better FWIW

3. KEKAHA_HR

KEKAHA_HR Member

Like Nook said, although you can always adjust your idle so it doesn't sound like a tractor. But, if you sound like your revving 3000 rpms at a stop light, thats because you are! Also keep in mind that you gotta adjust your rocker arms assembly to accept a higher cam profile. I wouldn't just slap in anything higher than 300 and call it a day, you'll be asking for trouble!!!

4. Nook

Nook Addict

Theres a lot of factors to consider when choosing a camshaft other than going to the shelf and grabbing the biggest one you can find. When you get into the long duration high lift, things like coil bind, guide to retainer clearance, valve to piston clearance, compression ratio, intake and exhaust, should be compatible with the cam.
    Also driveability is effected with the big boys, fuel mileage, manifold vacuum, ect. if you just want to wow them with a wicked idle then it'll do that to a point, but doesn't make much sense to run a cam that has a power band from 4000rpm to 7000rpm in an engine that won't spin much over 5000rpm. Bottom line is its your engine and you can do what you want and tell me to shut the hell up :)

5. KYNgsx

KYNgsx Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 2wd
    I had that TRD cam before; slightly lumpy idle, good midrange and big top end improvement. It got in the juicy part of the powerband around 3000 rpm and from there on up it screamed.

6. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    thanks guys and i think the comp cams range was 2k-5200 and to me that sounds like the one but like you said nook i dont wanna be binding stuff in my valvetrain with the crane so after posting this i threw that idea out. lol so with the trd and comp cam will i have to upgrade any valvetrain parts? i recently jus got the head done. i shimmed the valvesprings a little more so i get some 10psi boost on the springs.

7. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    i shift my truck at 5100-5200 lol idk if this makes a diffe or not. lol

8. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    crowler 280/280 ima go with this one!

9. Nook

Nook Addict

10. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    what are Engnbldr's RV cams at?

11. Nook

Nook Addict

The bottom of the junk pile ???? :puke: :ROFL:

12. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    :funnyup:

Comp 280 works well with the stock valvetrain but, gets even better with dual springs for up top rpms...

13. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    ima machine work the head so i dont smash my stem seals and put dual valve springs retard the cam a lil. and snce the head will be off a good porting and polishing should sum it all up. i just wanna smoke this POS honda civic that keeps speeding on my damn street.

14. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    that shouldnt be tough :D

but im considering cams right now for the engine im building. and im at a tossup between the lc stage 3 (.475 and [email protected]) and the comp 283/283 (.455 and [email protected]). i have slightly larger valves in a fresh 20r head, a 1-5/8" header into a 2-1/2" exhaust, choke-less 32/36, ported intake, good ignition w/ blaster coil, 81 22r with .020 over dome pistons, and i dont think the head is decked. so with about the 10.5:1 compression, and the single 45 sidedraft i plan to add, i think the comp cam grind is the way to go. funny part is its more expensive than the lc grind.

nook, opinions? :D

15. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    crane makes a 308/308 i think if thats the numbers but first of all what are you planning on doing with the motor. boost. na. supercharge?

16. standardbyker88

Truck:
    street rig. its my daily. but as it is, i have a tendancy to frequently rev the crap out of everything i drive. this sees 5k rpm daily. :D

17. Nook

Nook Addict

Both Comp and LC make nice cams, actually LC's are built by Web Cam, I,m not familiar with either of the two you listed as far as ever running those grinds, but they should work good for mid to upper end performance.
    I run the Comp 268 in my 76, has been flawless for over 20 years of service.
    In Blew I run an LC custom one off blower cam, it does a good job, nice touch with LC's cams are they are ground, heat treated, ect. by Web then LC sends them out for a second heat treating to add some more durability for longer service.
    You might reconsider your compression ratio numbers if your using that in deciding a cam selection, with a stock uncut head, minimal block surfacing, and rock :puke: pistons, original CR was 9.0-1, your new pistons are more than likely destroked to allow for surfacing the block and head to put the CR close to stock, so chances are your at or below 9.0-1.

18. standardbyker88

Truck:
    you think it will be below 9:1 having the 20 head on a domed piston?

19. Nook

Nook Addict

yeah, your right, I blew right by the part about the 20R head, you'll pick up about 1/2 point on compression over stock with the 20R head.
    But you'll probably compromise some top end power going the hybrid route.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  20. standardbyker88

Truck:
    however it works out, it cant be worse than a tired and stock internal 20r. it has a good top end, but the cam, block, and compression in my truck are stock. so the new setup should be a nice little motor. im planning to do up an M series motor this summer anyways.