Brake help

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Johnno919, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Johnno919

Johnno919 Member

Truck:
    22r 91 Xcab
    hey guys last time i drove my hilux (4 months ago) i had almost lost my brakes.
    i took it for a 2 hour drive on the way to my destination i felt the brakes slowly getting more spongy but still working, on the way home i was about 10 minutes from home when my foot was near the floor and just getting brakes. when i got home i checked my fluid and had very little in the reservoir so topped that up and put in the shed for a rainy day.
    today i open the hood still have all the fluid took all the wheels off but couldnt see any major signs of leaks. but took a few pumps for the pedal feel to come back.

i want to daily my girl again so what should i be looking for?

TIA

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Could be many things. Which reservoir is empty, front or rear? If your brakes were working fine before, it sounds like a bad brake line.
    If the front is empty check the hard metal brake lines where they pass under the inner front fender going to the caliper (s). I had the same issue and it turns out the bottom of the inner fender over time actually cut through the brake line causing the leak.
    Best way is to fill the reservoir and have a friend pump the brakes while you look for the leak. Good luck.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Agreed, have someone pump for you as you check the lines, if it was a wheel cylinder/leaking relief valve you would have seen that already.. sound like a bad rubber hose.. take a look!

4. Johnno919

Johnno919 Member

Truck:
    22r 91 Xcab
    what do you mean by front or rear reservoir?, yeah might have to try that, hope i dont have to go through and replace them all

5. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    most likely the rear wheel cylinders are leaking, you will have to remove the drums to check properly, or it could be the master cylinder is leaking into the booster you might see some fluid on the booster under the brake cylinder.