boring cylinders

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by burnzya, Mar 18, 2009.

1. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i need to put a head gasket on my 88 4x4. i went to the engnbldr website and seen i can get a complete rebuild set for $220. in the set i can get standard, .020, .030, .040 oversized pistons. i was thinking about going .040 over just for more displacment. has anyone done this? i don't want to go too much and cause reliability issues. any rough ideas on the cost to have the clyinders bored over?

2. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    Man id be tempted to go with .030 over. My fear with going any bigger is the cylinder wall thickness being less. I mean it shouldnt really matter... but what if.

3. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    thats what i was wondering. i'm more familiar with machine work on old american v-8's, go to much and you run into problems.

4. Sound.Vision.Soul

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    But at the same time engine rebuilding is far from what im good at. I focus most of my time on electrical.

5. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    thats why you should take a visit to the states and wire up my motor!

6. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    well, my local shop wants like 100 bucks to bore my block plus like 100 to clean it up and put new freeze plugs in.. they can bore as big as you want its still the same price... also LC sells a piston kit with a .90 bore or .95 ? so im possitive you will be fine...

7. IBeSeeN

IBeSeeN Addict

Truck:
    89 Toyota
    my dad only punches them .40 over for reliability he has told me after that he just likes to re sleeve them

8. Sound.Vision.Soul

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo

Hahahah room and board included?

9. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    sure why not! think about it, you could plan a side trip to my pick n pull!

10. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    You can request that the machinist bore them out as far as you like, but usually it only depends on how far they need to machine to make the cylinder round again. I would definitely talk to the machinist first before buying.

Wall thickness is almost never an issue with these engines until you start boosting them and making big numbers.

11. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    Of course, a blown head gasket is an opportunity to build upon new, go for the bore, but make sure that your head is still in good shape. Mine was ruined, valves in cylinder 4 melted closed.:puke: I believe ShoNuff is having the same issue on his '82. Oh, yeah, you had responded to it...:verdict_in:

I consider you guys lucky, able to get yours dealer maintained when you can. And have the ability to fix the problem and move on. I'd recomend replacing the fuel pump too, mine gave out on me @ 191500 and I'm still paying for it.

12. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    the fuel pump was recently replaced. the headgasket had a veeeery slow leak. when my friend parked it there wasn't any water in the oil. after sitting for 8 months there was. the motor runs awesome so i know the head is good, but i'm still going to have it checked to make sure its straight.

13. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    That's good, I would have hated for any of my friends here on Toyota Minis to have to call a tow truck when they are miles away from home and stuck in the middle of nowhere. But yeah, check the head and try to get the timing chain replaced, when my head gasket blew, I wanted that done, but the guy who worked on it for me just inspected it and said it looked good for my mileage.

Good luck!

14. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    According to LC .60 over is max for cast pistons and .80 over for forged pistons... Personally if it's just a daily driver .20 over is fine, that way you'll have material left if you need to bore it again later...

15. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    thats a good point b.y.e.. i actually already put the motor back together, and if the damn wind calms down i will be finishing up all the little stuff and firing it tomorrow.

16. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    just how looong do you plan on living? :lol:

as it is these things will outlive us....... :evil:

as mentioned though...... it wont make that huge a difference. for the added security of having more metal there to shave on later is best. especially if 30k miles later it eats a ring or something..... :shrug:

just for your info guys..... i found a reputable shop here in SD that did my machine work for a real good price.

he inspected it, told me what my options were first. i didnt "need" to bore it but said since the cylinder had water sitting in it for a slightly extended period of time, it did have some etching on the wall that "might" pose an issue down the road. hell, he even told me the pistons were fine for the mileage. (factory machine markings were still on them)

anyhow, he said since i was getting new pistons with my engnbldr kit, i should probably go for it anyways and rebore.

so, rebore, deck shave, installation of new freeze plugs, tank wash, matching and balancing all the pistons rings and bores i was out of the shop for $224.

17. the_general626

the_general626 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    90 Toyota Pickup 2wd standard cab
    dnt forget paint lol

18. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    90 single cab bagged and bodied
    wow a job like that in hawaii is around a good 600 bucks easy!...frick i hate the prices on the islands it sucks and way more expensive..i would do crazy stuff like u guys to but prices are dumb down here....did u feel the difference in power yet?

19. Evolmotorsports

Evolmotorsports Veteran

Truck:
    1987 RN50 Hilux
    I bored to 80 over on my 22r and alls ok, the wiseco's were +2mm from 92mm stock to 94mm, go as big as you can.

20. KEKAHA_HR

KEKAHA_HR Member

Bra, wea you went? I got my engine hot tanked, align honed, cold tanked the head, and resurfaced for 100 Bucks. If you wanted to balance, it's an extra $125 for a total of 225 bucks. I hope you neva go to Ted's Automotive off Mokauea. Prices are here: http://hawaiicylinder.com/Business/...icescatalogbusiness/servicespricebusiness.htm