Bed liners

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by 81SR5Al, Apr 22, 2010.

1. 81SR5Al

81SR5Al Addict

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    Hey guys, just wondering, I wanted to grab a bed liner for my truck and it's only $15. what differences are there between the later 84-95 trucks and 79-83 truck's beds? Are the inner dimensions the same? Would be a good score it they do. I can't drive the truck yet (engine's still apart) so I'd have to pick it up and bring it to the house to make sure.

2. Migotse

Migotse Member

Truck:
    1993 pickup
    i can only imagine the older models are a little shorter...but i say you should go check it out! measure your bed then measure the liner! go the distance on that price, it doesnt seeem like it would be too much different...

3. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    Might have to trim a little but I bet it will work, Bedliners are your worst enemy, they trap moisture and hold it against the metal and we all know we have rust issues.

4. 81SR5Al

81SR5Al Addict

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    my bed is rusty already, too late. I'm more worried about it messing up what I put in there, I'll have to replace the entire bed eventually. When I do it'll get a Rhino lining.

5. Racersk

Racersk Member

I found mine on the side of the road.. Think it fit a Ford Ranger.

From my findings online the inner dimensions between the 79-83 and 84-88 are the same, so much so that the body lines are almost interchangable and I know that a canopy will fit between the 2... Be sure that you get the long/short bed part right though.

And yes rust is a problem...I NEEDED a bed liner so that screws and such wouldn't fall outa my bed!

:funnyup:

6. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    Apologies for necro'ing a thread this old but it being my only outlet for any info on a bedliner I have to ask:

Is it wise to purchase one for these pickups knowing the rust issues?
    I live in a relatively dry climate (even so, I've discovered small amounts of rust even though this truck has gone nowhere outside of Phoenix!!!! :eyecrazy:) and the plywood sheets of unknown age in my bed I know are not going to hold up well for the light work I'm doing since they're already showing signs of wear ontop of the splinters... I don't want to ding up the bed since it is practically untouched! If anyone has any advice, let me know. Oh and if anyone has a good source for a Long Bed mat, lemme know!

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You talking bubbling flaking rust? Or just surface rust?

8. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    Surface rust. There is a small patch or two along the front bed hook 20220326_102642.jpg and some along the front top portion against where the bed and cab meet. 20220326_102655.jpg Also here's my my current plywood + leftover carpet DIY bed protector. Underneath, the bed is in excellent condition from the plywood taking the brunt all this time! Carpet was added since the plywood is kinda warped and makes sliding things in an out of it rough so this smoothens it out sorta 20220326_102627.jpg

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Dude thats NOTHING. Spray some rust encapsulator over that shit and keep on moving. Any bare metal, spray some rattle can clear over it for now.

Erwin Merida and Perkolator like this.
  10. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    Yep, didn't even see it when I was looking at the truck before I bought it, its very unnoticeable unless you're ye-high enough for it to be eye-level staring you in the face so it's not a concern for me right now. But sealing it would be nice to prevent it from growing!
    There's quite some bare metal around the rear cab window from the camper shell rubbing against it probably, should seal that too.

jetas likes this.