Ball Joint Replacement & Control Arm: How I Did It ( For Better or Worse )

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Busted Knuckles, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

So I had to replace a lower ball joint, and this is the way I did it.
    ( Note: it was not on my Toyota. But the perspectives here are quite engaging and insightful, so it is being posted for commentary. )

First, the car was lifted, jacks stands were placed,m and the front wheel was removed. ( Pic1)

Next, the control arm knuckle nut was loosened, and the ball joint removed. The control arm then was disengaged and hung away. ( Pic2 )

The control arm kept hitting the ground at an odd angle. So I jacked up the side of the car higher and shifted the control arm to 90 degrees, secured by rope. ( Pic3 )

With more room and clearance, a ball joint press was fitted, and the ball joint removed. ( Pic 4 )
    The control arm was then cleaned, and a new ball joint pressed into the control arm and returned into the assembly.

In retrospect, it would have been easier to just remove the ENTIRE control arm entire from the vehicle and do the ball joint removal and placement away from the car. But it is an alternative method if for whatever circumstances the control arm cannot be removed.
    ( The final picture is the control arm and angle before lifting the car for increased clearance )

Your thoughts and opinions requested.

Attached Files: