auto transmission

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by waterman, Dec 10, 2015.

1. waterman

waterman Newbie

Have an 88 toyo pu with auto trans. It stopped shifting into overdrive or 4th gear.
    It will shift into o/d every once in a while but most of time does not. When it shifts into 4th it seems to be when air temp is in low 70 degrees. Any help appreciated.

2. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Probably need more info. 1988... 2wd? Do you know what trans it is? Have you checked the fluid? Does it have an overdrive disable switch? Have you traced that circuit to make sure it's making a good connection?

3. waterman

waterman Newbie

It is a 2wd with push button on gear selector for on/off overdrive which lights up when off on a light by the radio. Fluid is good. I haven't traced the electrical but plan to. It is a A340 series I believe. I had the throttle step down cable replaced awhile back at a shop. It doesn't have the adjustment marker on it that my manual says it should have. I have moved it back and forth incrementally but had no success. It has 150K miles on it and is a good truck. I don't use it as an everyday driver otherwise I would have had to have it fixed by now.

4. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    I highly doubt that it is an a340. It's more likely an a43d. The A43d is entirely mechanical, whereas the a340e is computer controlled unless it has the not widely used manual valve body.

Column shift or center console?

And I could be wrong about the trans make, but the info I'm sourcing is from the Wiki page on the A transmissions.

5. jorge cruz

jorge cruz Member

Truck:
    1985 toyota sr5
    Did you ever fixed the problem with your transmission? I have the same one (A43D) Aisin Warner 03-71. with the same problem. let me know Thanks.

6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    The A43 has a high altitude disconnect on the o/d setting. Not sure what the max height is but it will not allow the transmission to shift into o/d.
    Are you in the mountains or someplace similar?

7. jorge cruz

jorge cruz Member

Truck:
    1985 toyota sr5
    No, in the city. I don't drive my truck that much but when i do it doesn't want to release the last shift till the transmission is hot and now my 2nd gear does want to shift until i go higher than 3500 RPM and let the gas off, then it will release the 3 gear and it stay there till it get warm/hot to release the drive/last shift... I called like 30 shops and nobody want to rebuild it, soon as i said Aisin A43D they are like ooohhhh nooo we don't do those lol. so you still have the same problem or its fix now?