'95 4runner mirrors on a '94 pickup

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by mprtftr, Jun 20, 2010.

1. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    I have a set of '95 sail mounted 4runner power mirrors and I'm trying to figure out how to mount them on my '94 pickup that only has the driver's side skin mount mirror. I've pulled the interior sail cover off but, it seems like there's more to it than just drilling the holes. Do you have to open the holes up in order to get the 4runner mirrors to seat properly or am I missing something? Any help that you all could provide is greatly appreciated, so thank you all in advance.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    pull off the sail panel cover from the inside. Then there should be 3 screws holding the outside sail panel. After u remove those just put the mirrors on and screw them in and your done

3. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    Mine doesn't have the outside sail panels.

4. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    He has the door mount mirror now. So there isn't a coverplate. My old 92 was that way. If you drill 3 mounting holes, and one for the plug, it should work. As for wiring, it may or may not be wired in your truck.

5. 94Yota_05CBR1K

94Yota_05CBR1K Veteran

Truck:
    94 YoTa Mini 2wd
    post pics if u can. i'd like to see.

6. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    Had to cut the outer sail panels to install. Will post pics in a little bit. Have to get some food in the ole burner first. Fat boy is starving! [​IMG]

7. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    Ok. So as I said I would do earlier.... Pic Time.

This is what I started out with..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what had to be put on..

[​IMG]

So when I pulled the sail panels off inside the truck, this is what I see...

[​IMG]

So, now I'm stuck. :thinking: What needed to be done was to drill out the 3 holes from inside the truck to the outside. Then use the gasket that comes with the mirrors to trace the pattern necessary for the mounting points to slide through... :verdict_in:

[​IMG]

At this point we start cutting and end up with this..

[​IMG]

Not perfect but the mounting plate and gasket will hide it, as well as, protect it from the elements. So after we debur the cut, smooth it out and even it out, we can then install the mirror and end up with this...

[​IMG] :clapping:

Now all that is left is to figure out how to run power to them. I'll deal with that later though. Still have to get the buckets in. Then decide on a center console to mount the power options and some other things in. For now, I'll deal with the lack of power, as I have up until now. At least I have more visibility around the truck while I'm driving.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  8. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    Cool. And they are going to be power:waytogo:
    I only like the door mount mirrors if they are mid way back on the door so that you can rest your hand on it while driving with the window down. It's comfortable like that!

9. 94Yota_05CBR1K

94Yota_05CBR1K Veteran

Truck:
    94 YoTa Mini 2wd
    nice.. I like your future power upgrade. Are you planning on doing windows as well? What type of bucket seats do you have in mind? I wish I knew the answer on installation for the power supply.

10. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    The switch from the 4runner should fit the little square panels on your dash as well. If I remember, my old base model 92 had a spare slot right next to the headlights. If your panel doesn't have it, a junkyard panel might be an easy option.

The SR5 ex cab trucks and 4runners had similar consoles. With 3 square switch spots right behind the shifter boot. Use a factory 4runner switch there if you'd rather.

11. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab

Yeah, I have the 4runner mirror control switch and the power door and window switches. They came out of a '91. I also snagged the buckets out of the same truck. I think I read somewhere on here or one of the other forums though, that I'm going to need the relays and fuse block or something from the donor truck to make the locks and everything work. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know I'm going to have to get the power window motors and regulators, but don't know if I can use the ones out of the 4runner since it was a 4 dr or if I'm going to just have to get them from a pickup or off ebay. Either way, I'll kepp checking and see what I can find out. This may take a while, especially since money is tight right now. I'll post what I find out. I may have to ask you guys for some more tech help down the line though.

12. damafuka

damafuka Member

does anyone have the sail panels? i need them. i want door mount mirrors

13. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    Did you break yours? Even if you have the skin mount mirrors you should already have the sail panels on the inside of the truck right in the front corner of the door glass. Just be careful when you try to pry them out. They can be broken pretty easily.

14. damafuka

damafuka Member

i need the outer sail panel

15. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    [​IMG]

i have the door mount mirrors like this style with the wing/vent windows...are these pre-drilled and ready to accept regular style mirrors?

(not my truck)

16. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Yeah, there's a hole on the inside (i looked lol), but you may have to do some very minor cutting like MPRTFTR did. I have the same mirror/ window setup. but the vents may block the vision lol

17. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    If you don't have the outer sail panels and you want the style mirrors that I have, manual style or powered, you're going to have to cut like I did.

18. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    ok so if you have remove the door mount mirrors like the pic i posted before what kind of holes are left when you do so? any pics?

19. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    anyone?:shrug:

20. Kay_XRS

Kay_XRS Newbie

Probably something like this.
    [​IMG]