86 Pickup 4cyl Engine Swaps?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by LittleTruckThatCould, Apr 13, 2010.

1. LittleTruckThatCould

LittleTruckThatCould Newbie

Hello Everyone,

I have a great 86 pickup that is practically rust free, looks great inside and out and has been good to me. Its a 2wd 22r carbureted with a 4spd manual transmission.

I'm curious which newer 4cyl fuel injected Toyota engines have been easily swapped into this vehicle? What information is available on these swaps?

A 22re with a 5spd is an obvious upgrade but is there anything beyond that?

It's my impression when I search for info that not many people bother on the 2wd models when the 4wd Pickup is such a popular choice for offroading.

Thank you,
    -Nick

Attached Files:

2. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

little bit of fuel milage and hp ... not much for stock to stock.... If you want I have the entire setup plus a little for sale in the classifieds section.

3. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yea....... as far as bolt in motors you'll only find it within the 22re or 22rte''s (turbo)

a more common swap would be either a 2rz or 2rz (tacoma 4cyl motors). if you wanna go a bit more wild than that you can look into a 7mgte (early supra turbo motors), 2jzgte (later supra turbo motors) or 1uzfe ( the lexus v8)

4. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    My buddy has a 2rz in his 95ish tacoma. Its a zippy sucker compared to a 22r/e motor. Gets awesome mileage and can wipe the crud out of my hybrid.

So because of that id suggest the 3rz. More stroke the better.

I know some people have done it. Link anyone?

5. LittleTruckThatCould

LittleTruckThatCould Newbie

Actually, my goal isn't for more power. The 22r is fine. It's the fact that the carburetor doesn't run well and the 4spd doesn't handle interstate speeds.

Yeah, a 22re stock for stock swap would probably suit my needs but the 2rz sounds better, though I assume it's much more work to accomplish.

6. Grizz806

Grizz806 Member

Truck:
    1987 2wd
    Well I'm interested u would live to c someone do a swap for a 86-87 it's the same thing I got in mine, but I'm on a student budget.!

7. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    get a weber carb and a 5 speed then. stock carbs suck. trans swap is easy enough.

8. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

Dont know where youre at but I'm only requesting 200 picked up and that includes 5 speed with newer clutch (maybe 20k miles at most) and full engine with all wiring an whatnot so it will be basically plug/bolt and play .. ran good untill it turned a main bearing in the bottom end.