84 wont do anything

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by delmert, Nov 10, 2011.

1. delmert

delmert Newbie

Truck:
    84 toyo pu
    Hey, was wondering if anybody could help me out on here... Im new to this site after tinkering with my truck all morning.
    I parked it in the drive way last night... went out this morning turned the ignition and got nothing, not one dash light flickered and nothing but the ignition clicked.
    So I checked battery, it works fine, all the components that are run directly of the battery are fine. I checked all the fuses under the dash.
    Checked the ones under the hood. The big fuse that says its a CMH Fuel heater clicks when I turn the ignition.. the one next to it does not click. (cant read what it used to say)
    So then I pulled my ignition apart- since it wont even work on accessory, Im not even sure which wires to use to "Hot wire" the ignition... this would atleast tell me if it is the ignition.
    So traced wires from the battery, looked at everything in the fuse box, traced them all the way to the ECU took it out, popped it apart.. looks good, cleaned it up an stuck it back in.
    I still got nothing.

I've heard about these fuse links that are ran in wires- there small enough to be hidden in with the bundle of wires and a lil electrical tape... Do I spred all the wires apart and trace them down? I cant get a new ignition switch till tomorrow and Im thinkin thats probably not even it...
    Anybody got any ideas?? ?

thx in advance for any help

2. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    fusible links aren't going to be hidden all over, it will only be in the alternator-battery wire and the battery-fuse box wire unless someone's added them in. the fusible link IS a section of smaller wire of specific length and size to burn out before the rest.

3. delmert

delmert Newbie

Truck:
    84 toyo pu
    Well the ****ty wire diagram in the chilton book I have shows a main fuse link that goes alt-bat... theres not a wire that goes direclty to the alt. It goes battery to the main fuse box under the hood, then goes through the firewall and either goes into the ECU to the back of the truck or behind the dash to the drivers side... Or atleast thats were ive traced it so far..
    then it shows 2 fuse links that run off of the wire that runs bat-alt... and both these run into the ignition... So if this diagram I have is correct. Somewhere behind my dash appears to be 2 fuse links... Which I am more then happy to agree with you and say toyota wouldnt do that to me... but I dont know yet...
    Im trying to get a good wire diagram for my truck by tomorrow... so hopefully that will help...
    thx though... Ive been wondering bout these fuse links...

4. delmert

delmert Newbie

Truck:
    84 toyo pu
    Well figured it out... if anybody needs a really nice wiring diagram I now have access to them for any part of an 84yota

5. awildbird

awildbird Newbie

Heres a backyard mechanics suggestion
    Run a new circuit with a push button starter switch