73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Not alot of people have ran the 4 barrel intake and posted online from what I can tell. Found a few. One was just people that had it and never got it running right. So they knocked it when someone questioned it. Did find some of the guys that loved the idea or started but never gave updates. Found an old post for a motor forsale that had the Holley dominator intake installed with a 390 carb. Just a standard rebuild. Wasn't bored out. But never started after the build. The only good post I found was a dude that had just bought a truck with the Offenhauser intake and I think a holley 390. He wanted to know if a weber would be better. Another guy came in pretty much telling him his setup was soild and dont change.

I'm sure I can make a soild running motor out of it. Especially with the efi conversion kits out there. Aiming towards the holley sniper. Pretty much as long as I get everything on and punch in the specs of the motor it will tune it for me. Sounds pretty fool proof and solid.

I might for the hell if it try and find a 390cfm 4 barrel until I do the build. Only want to do it if I get a good deal. Not 100 percent sure if the intake will fit on my old head though. From what I read it was listed for later 20r motors. Dont know if theres a difference. Anyway I now see a 390cfm 4 barrel isnt something that anyone really has. That is understandable. Did find one used on on craigslist or offer up but the base plate was changed to a 600. If only he knew.

2. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
  3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
  4. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I have a dual port, 20R manifold for the stock carb. Never noticed an improvement in power, though. Mileage went up a little but I think that was due to the intake runners' cross section becoming smaller due to the dual plane separator. Switched to dual Mikuni 44 and then smog check came up so went back to stock.

@Pearce: IIRC, it was advised back in the day that polishing and port matching the last part of the runners where the separator ends was supposed to be worth a little bump in power, if you decide to use the manifold...

Oh, and you prolly don't see much online info because this was pre-internet oooold school stuff.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    74RN22 likes this.
  5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I can find info on pretty much every other intake but the 4 barrel is different. My favorite find was when a guy posted it up on a forum and everyone though it was a weber intake.

6. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Your manifold, was it single or duel plane?

7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Was listed as just a 6260 but I can only find a 6260dp in the catalogs. And from what I found the offy was a duel plain and the dominator was a single.

74RN22 likes this.
  8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well after being locked out of my bank account for 2 weeks because of fraud I did some reckless spending. Bought a new grill. Only have seen one other for the 72.5/74 on ebay before that was new.

Oh and also there was an attack on this site. Dont really think its tied to my case but I did get a warning from Google.

9. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Ohhh, nice score on the early style grille. Post some pics when you get it!
    Luckily mine is still in decent shape, but I did recently respray it silver.

Pearce likes this.
  10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    @KS.ID will do. I could of spent the time on my old one to fix it but didnt really care to. It will take around a month to get here. Coming from Japan.

KS.ID likes this.
  11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    _PFS1788_1.JPG

First time making it to Griots garage Caffeine and gasoline in the hilux. I bypassed the brake booster to come. It was a little hard to brake but I only live a few blocks away. Wasn't to many cool rides there. I had the only old Toyota. Not really happy with the photo. I should of parked somewhere different and spent some more time framing it up. I'll have another shot next month.

74RN22 likes this.
  12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Made an order today on some stuff I've been wanting and needing. New tail lights, hella square fog lights, fender mirrors, rearview mirror, gas pedal, and a shift knob. Wanted to put some more money into cosmetics.

I have my eyes on a few motors. Probably going to pick one up soon. Hoping to get word on this hood I found online from a junkyard in Oregon. Hoping they can ship it to me.

74RN22 likes this.
  13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got a word back on the hood. Its rusted and filled with bondo. Wouldn't put me in any better of a spot. Happy he let me know before buying it. Going to be picking up a stud welder soon to pull a dent in the cab corner and along the bed. I'll give the hood a shot.

Both the motors I was looking at have sold. Kind of a bummer. Should of pulled the trigger a long time ago. Nothing really at the moment around me that would work. Unless I just want a block. I really need to do something about the clutch. Pretty sure the noise I've been chasing is the throughout bearing. I need to decide what I'm going to do about the flywheel. I can get an OEM one for about 50. No reason to get mine resurfaced for that price. But I really want to get a lighter flywheel. I need to come to a decision soon.

Also driving home from work today I hit a corner a little hard and started to find its limits for the conditions. Frontend started to slide. Wheel was a full floater. It was good times. Then funny thing is I've been trying to kick out the rear but my clutch slips to much.

jetas likes this.
  14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So there a dude across the street from me with I think a 4th gen that's beat to shit. Hes running open exhaust or something and it's always run pretty bad. The best thing is he rapes the shit out of it. I always wanted to see if I can pull on him but its days are getting number. He started it up just now and it was LUMPY. He gave it gas and shut it off. I'm rooting from him but I never seen this dude wrench on it.

Edit

He just start it up like nothing's wrong and idled for a second and took off.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Found out the noise I've been hearing. It's my bumper rumbing on the fender. Found out when I went under the car to search for sound and used the bumper to help me up.

74RN22 and Perkolator like this.
  16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    IMG_20200217_122233_547.jpg Taillights came today. I ended up just using the lenses, bulbs, weather stripping and trim. The trim dosnt fit up the best but its alright for now. Still need to wire in the reverse lights.

74RN22 likes this.
  17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Worked on the hood some and my fog light came. Just mounted for now. Already had some holes in the bumper that I used. IMG_20200218_181240_128.jpg

74RN22 likes this.
  18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    IMG_20200219_125144_278.jpg Did the intake gasket because it was pretty shot. Just scraped head and intake with a razor blade. Seemed to be alright. Also hooked up the new lights. And threw on the hood emblem for the first time. The mirrors are in the country and should be here soon. Same with the grill.

74RN22 likes this.
  19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Picked up some carb cleaner and started spraying everything down. Intake was alright but the carb was pretty bad. Got some permatex rtv on the adapter plates and cleaned the inside good. Didnt use any on the carb because I couldn't clean the excess and it wasn't leaking from there before. Let it sit for a while and ran it and hit it. Still not sealed all the way. Makes me want to play with the 4 barrel intake. Or pick up solex carbs.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  20. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got the carb sealed up and did a little run to the store and some janky ass plug the last owner put on the manifold blow. It was for coolant. My other manifold had the right plug so used it. The only think that sucked was the old one was a tee that you couldn't get a socket on. So I had to cut it off the tee to do so. Everything looked good. So I hit the park about 2 miles away. Looked over it and checks out. Let it sit for 30 mins or so. Head home and do a check and my overflow bottle is full. Always something else. I'm thinking maybe the radiator cant keep up because I did turn off the fan for the heater core being it was a decent day.