73 hilux with old 20r

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I feel you in that. Im debating on switching mine from the E choke to manual

2. Pearce

Pearce Member

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Yeah the fact that as soon as it gets power it starts to open deterred me. With the old carb it took awhile before I could open it up. If they had water I would of considered that. I did just learn though a weber with a water choke helped killed my dad's spitfire back in the day. So I'll stick with the cable.

3. Pearce

Pearce Member

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Spent a good while on the throttle. I looked up a picture of what it looks like but I think I'm missing a piece on my firewall. Cant tell tho. The piece supplied does nothing for me. Pulled the old lever off but I cant get full throttle. Thinking about just twisting up some coat hanger for now.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The E choke has actually been ok for me. If the blades open up it still doesnt drop idle til i tap the pedal

5. Pearce

Pearce Member

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So I got the front brakes done today. Finished up the carb install. Got my spark plugs and wires in and no fire. Pretty sure my timing is off a good bit. I messed with the dizzy and got it to kick but gave up because it was getting late and I dont want to piss off the neighbors by starting my truck with an open header. I'll probably have my brother or boss try and help me tomorrow.

Edit

Said screw the neighborhood. Theres a guy with a crazy loud Toyota across the street anyway. I go check and set my base timing. 8 past on the second mark. Look and pull the distributor. Point the arm at the clip and put it back in. I had done it the week before and it didnt appeared to be be off. I hook up my timing light and nothing. Thought it might have died but then I remembered. My fuel pump had stopped worked early today. I pulled the coil and fuel pump fuse to not accidentally send power to them. The fuses did not seat right. Cheap fuse block. So I tweak the fuse pull out my timing light and on the first flash she fired up. Ran it for a minute. Really happy with my day.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019 at 10:12 PM
    jetas and 74RN22 like this.
  6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Great feeling when it fires up

7. Pearce

Pearce Member

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So this morning I went to start her up and diel it in after running like a champ last night and couldnt get it started. After a while of messing with wires and timing it fired up again. Ran great for like 5 minutes. Got the timing dialed by ear. Was able to open the choke and get a low idle speed and hold. Then it shut off. Thought it might of just been running out of gas. I put a gallon in and try. No luck. My brother eventually comes over to help. He quickly confirms intermittent spark. He noticed the cap and rotor look old. I've never tackled a basic tune up before so I didnt know all what I should grab. Grab that nothing. He starts wondering about ground. Dosnt seem to be a problem. Then he checked the dwell. It showed 18 or so. He let me no what exactly that means. We mess with the points and gap and get it close to idling. Ended up calling it a day and plan on get new points and condenser tomorrow after work. Now I know though plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points ,and condenser are the basics of an old car ignition tune up.

Funny thing is I had a couple people tell me its fuel. I'm like no I'm getting bad spark. The neighbor said "poor gas down the carb. I dont trust that starting fluid." After I told her it's a spark problem.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 12:09 AM
  8. Pearce

Pearce Member

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The premature ig post before it went down hill. This was before I opened the choke and messed with the idle speed.

Also plan on getting closer to finalizing wires. Got stuff for soldering coming. A life time supply of heat shrink and wire wrap coming. And most everything to start on the exhaust. The only thing Ieft is flanges ,hangers, and a tip. I figure I can cut in flanges at anytime. It's only for convenience. I can get some rod from the scrap bin at the old shop I worked at. And the tip I dont really care about right now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4lHH6bAWmP/?igshid=1w2jkbrvupkxq

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 12:08 AM
    74RN22 likes this.
  9. Pearce

Pearce Member

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    For the first time in a long time in Washington it rained. Still waiting on the points. Wasn't going to work on the exhaust in the rain so an unproductive day.