73 Hilux out of washington

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Pearce, Oct 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Haven't worked on my 73 hilux much until lately. Forgot my old account so I made a new one. I picked up my truck 4 years ago. When I got it it had a hole in the fuel tank I tried to patch but it failed after getting it home and putting 20 bucks in the tank. I picked up an aluminum 11 gallon tank to fix that problem.

Soon after that the wiring really started to show it age. I ripped it all out last year. I put a gm 1 wire alternator in and picked up a universal wiring kit from ebay. I didnt decide to tackle that till last month. I got I mostly wired up besides a few things and final finish. I need to go through and solder and wrap wires. Trying to tackle the wipers so if you can help with that let me know.

The motor was swapped at some point to the 20r. I haven't done much besides throw a flowtech shorty header, new coil, and the alternator. I plan on doing the cam and maybe sidedrafts soon. Looking at a few ways to convert to an electric distributor.

The interior was in bad shape. I pulled the old seat out and replaced it with some Subaru outback seats. Not yet mounted and not 100 percent sure I will use them. I picked up a dash cap that really cleans it up. Painted the interior black. Laid down some carpet. Then I did the biggest sin and cut a hole in my dash for a double din. I hate myself for that but I'll live with it. Speedo cable is one the way so hoping to have that working. Not sure what to do about the tachometer. I'm trying to find a style that blends in. I'm thinking of hacking the cluster and putting it in the dummy light space.

I did pick up a few exterior parts over the years. New fenders, valance and marker lights/signals. The valance is for later models though so I might not run it. I need to find a hood and a drivers side door. Might replace the bed if I can find a short bed in good shape.

Right now I'm just try to get it rode worthy. I need to do the brakes and steering. Going to try and knock that out before the end of the year.

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Some photos

Attached Files:

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    looks like you're dealing with asimilar situation to mine. I basically had to tear mine down a lot just to get it on the road.

If you already have a 20R in it then your dizzy should already be electronic. As far as the tach goes you can always get a pedestal mount one and put it on the steering column like i had at first(i still have it and willing to sell it so LMK)

how is the fitment on the header with the frame? Got any pics of that? Im wanting to swap mine out but havent seen any that fit the narrow frame

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    It's a points distributor. I think it's a 75 engine.

The header was really close but if you put the flang on before you fit it up it will work.

Attached Files:

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Damn im going to have to check out that header.

and i was under the impression all 20Rs had electronic dizzys. Learn something everyday

Pearce likes this.
  6. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Great job chipping away at this project over the years! I have a 1972.5 that I've been slowly working on too.

Have you found a good write up on the GM alternator swap? I've heard about this for a while but haven't found the right info to feel comfortable doing it myself.

Pearce likes this.
  7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just buy the Low Range swap brackets and the alternator. I personally have a 3 wire alt, read that the 1 wire only starts charging once it hits a certain RPM. BUT a 3 wire can be ran as a 1 wire. As far as retrofitting it to a factory harness just need to know what each wire does and go from there

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

I dont know how you would adapt it to an existing wiring harness. But I think the only complicated thing would be hooking up the charge light. The gm alternators have an internal voltage regulator and it initiated at low RPMs so idle for building from scratch. You just need the lCE gm alternator bracket. I was able to pick it up locally at a 4x4 store. You do have to prop the motor to get it in.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    12v+Ign to one terminal on the alt, other terminal goes to the lug on the back of the alt, the the 3rd wire goes from that same lug to the back to the battery. Charge light goes inline with the 12v Ign wire