5VZFE swap into 1995 short bed truck?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by StorminMatt, Oct 7, 2022.

1. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Newbie

I recently acquired a 1995 truck with a well-worn 22RE, and would like to do a swap. I had thought about a 3RZ. But the 5VZFE is both cheaper and easier to find. Oh, and the part about 40 more HP and 43 more ft-lb torque doesn’t hurt, either.

The problem is that information on this swap (and 2WD swaps in general) is basically nonexistent. It would almost seem as if people only do swaps 4WD trucks. It looks like I can get engine mounts for this swap:

https://www.chilkatdesigns.com/product-page/l1315-5vz-fck

But then there is the transmission. I know that I have to upgrade to the R150 from a 2WD 3.0 truck. Does this bolt right in, or does it require fab work? Does the shift lever line up? Nobody seems to be able to tell me. Also, is a custom driveshaft needed? Or will a slip yoke swap do the trick? Does anyone here know anything about this swap?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I would plan on a modified drive shaft. Plan to cut a hole in your floor for the shifter. Not saying you will be doing it but just plan on kt

if you can find a pickup with a 3VZ in it pull the trans and crossmember. Should help make it more bolt in.

most people go from a 3vz to 5vz which is supposedly almost drop in. So motor mounts will need to be fabbed or modified to go from 22RE->5VZ

3. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Newbie

The motor mounts themselves are actually available.

https://www.chilkatdesigns.com/product-page/l1315-5vz-fck

This is not really a concern. Even a custom driveshaft is not too big of an issue, as they only cost something like $300. Compared to almost $3000 for a 3RZ longblock alone, a 5VZ swap would still be cheaper. The BIG concern for me is whether or not the transmission will bolt in, as fabrication is not my forte.

jetas likes this.
  4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I’m sure it’s been done before, probably similar work to swap any engine that doesn’t have a physical size issue like a v8 would.
    I know our family’s 3rz Tacoma feels like it has WAY more pep than my 22re pickup; I believe the 2/3rz is more of a direct swap like going 3vz->5vz; also a boosted RZ gets pretty crazy power numbers - so it always made sense to me when replacing a 22re.
    But go for the v6 if you want it!

5. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Newbie

Honestly, I would probably be quite happy with a 3RZ. The problem is that they are rare and, consequently, expensive. I can get 5VZ’s all day long at the Pick and Pull for a few hundred bucks. And I have plenty to choose from to find a good one. 3RZ’s? FORGET IT! The extra HP and torque is, of course, icing on the cake. If there is no good way to get a 5VZ in there without hacking things up, I will probably bite the bullet and go 3RZ. But with such a serious price, availability, and performance advantage, I feel like the 5VZ is DEFINITELY worth considering.

6. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    SC 3.4 would be awesome!! But pricey.