5-speed from mid 80's Celica

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by toy_boy, Nov 9, 2008.

1. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Got a neighbor that has a mid 80's Celica 5-speed. $65

Does anyone know if this will be a direct bolt-on swap for my 79' Toyota pickup?

Would I have to change my flywheel?

Could I use the same clutch?

Neighbor says it was behind a 20r at one time.

Forgive my ignorance. :) First-time mini-truck owner.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Direct bolt on, no need to change clutch/flywheels... The only thing you need is to fab up your own trans mounts...

3. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    5-speed swap.

So I could use the same clutch that I have now with my 4-speed?

When you say I have to fabricate a tranny mount does this mean just the actual rubber mount or the mounting location on my truck?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    this is 100% bolt in no fab needed unless you break something doing it.

take the tranny mount off of your old tranny and transfer it to the new (celica) tranny. or if the new one comes with a mount use it, they are both the same mount.
    [​IMG]

you may have to flip the mount 180 if the legnth is different.

clutch is the same as well, unless you have a factory turbo motor.

5. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Here's my swap:

Original 4 speed: W42 (steel shell) to early 80's Celica 5 speed: W56 (all aluminum)

Overall length of both tranmissions were the same from bell housing to tail shaft guard. The difference was in the mount position on the trans in relation to the bracket on the crossmember. The original bracket (4 speed) on the crossmember sat too far forward. 2" to be exact. I tried another bracket from a 1992 truck with a W55 tranny (5 speed) and that didn't work either. It sat to far back. 1-1/2" to be exact.

Flipping the rubber mount itself did not make up the difference in length for either bracket and the original celica bracket doesn't even come close to being a bolt on part for the trucks.

Sooo... I chopped up the original celica bracket got some flat bar from home depot, drilled a couple holes, bent, shaped and voila! Oh, and i didn't have to cut the floor for the shifter as you would on the 89-95 models...

I'll try to get some pics up later tonight... It'll be easier to understand when you see it...

6. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Perfect!

THAT was the answer I was looking for. :)

Pics of your set-up would be so very helpful and sincerely appreciated. I guess I'm just one of those "visual" learners. :)

BTW - I've read somewhere here a guy buying a tranny that was suppose to be a 5-speed which turned out to be a 4-speed....is there any numbers or markings I should look for to make sure that my neighbor's transmission is in fact a 5-speed?

OHhhhhhh.........and....were you able to use the original drive-shaft, torque converter, and clutch assembly? Just want to confirm.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  7. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    go to the transmission if given the owner's consent, and move the shifter. if it can go into 7 places (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, R, and N), then its probably a 5speed then

8. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Bought it.

My neighbor assures me it is a (W58) 5-Speed. He's a cool guy. I just wanted to arm myself with as much technical information so that I could verify for myself and not just go on his word, alone.

Anyhow, not sure what the tranny would go for at a PNP, but $65 seemed reasonable. He steamed cleaned it a few years back and it's been sitting in the corner of his garage.

*Out of curiosity, does anyone know what it would cost to rebuild one of these puppies?*

Now, I'm just going to wait for B.Y.E.'s pics of the mount he fabricated since he's done one that is already proven and swap this bad-boy in place of my 4-speed, hopefully by this weekend. :)

I don't mind the 4-speed when I'm driving around town, but it would be nice to have that 5th gear for my commute to and from work.

9. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Sorry bro, couldn't take any pics yesterday the weather sucked... It's been raining all day and into today aswell. I'll get them asap...

On another note: That W58 is "NOT" a bolt on tranny. They were used primarily behind the inline 6 cylinder celica-supras with the 7mge/1jz/2jz engines.
    I'm in the process of trying to see if the bellhousings are interchangeable between all "W" series transmissions as well as the output shaft spline count. Like you, I haven't got a sure answer. But, for $65 bucks it's great buy. You can resale it for triple that if the bellhousings don't interchange...

btw- did you find out what 4-speed you have?

here's a reference link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_W_transmission

Not a 100% on the data provided but it's a very good starting point...

10. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    You learn something new everyday. :)

At least my neighbor is willing to give me my money back. He didn't know whether or not it would fit my truck. Luckily he understands I didn't either. Like I said, cool guy.

Now can you imagine had this been off of Craigslist?! I appreciate the HEADS UP from you.

*This is how a site like this can be helpful.*

So.....the search goes on. :)

I found a couple of W56's advertised as "rebuilt" and asking more than what it would cost to just go to a PNP, myself, but without any paperwork to back their claims. I think I'm better off with a PNP tranny and having it rebuilt, rather than risking my money with those guys. Just my opinion.

It's all good. Having the 4-speed with the occasional grinding reverse isn't THAT bad. Actually getting used to it. :)

But please forward the pic of your fabricated mount whenever you get the chance, because eventually I will find a 5-speed that will bolt right up and at least I'll have an idea what I will have to do for a mount.

Thanks, again, for everything.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  11. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Here ya go! sorry them are big.... Original 1982-85 celica mount chopped down into a box with some flat bar from home depot... Not the greatest but it works... I used nuts and bolts until I progress on my welding skillz... *lol

[​IMG]

Don't mind the gear oil mess, had to change out the output shaft seal...

[​IMG]

Original 4 speed (W42) bracket on the left VS 1992 2wd 5 speed (W55) on the right... I would need a mount dead smack between the two lengths...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    awesome, i love being proved wrong :D

just kinda throwin a idea out there, but is the auto mount a different length?

also am i safe in assuming that you could of used 2 of the mounting holes on the smaller bracket?

or why not just a plate bolted to the smaller bracket then the mount bolted to the bracket?

13. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Not trying to prove anyone wrong bro, just info for the masses... :D I know the feeling when we get new parts and they don't fit...

Not sure about the auto bracket since I haven't seen one to take a measurment. Who knows maybe the one from a 4X4 might work...

I was going to cut up my original mount and have it re-welded but, I wasn't sure of the condition of the 5 speed when I bought it. Incase I have to resort back I won't have another headache... I'm just happy the 5 speed works!!

14. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    A+ for effort (B.Y.E.)

You didn't just take pics of the mount under your ride you took pics of both mounts that DID NOT work. That's going the extra mile, and I'm sure we all (those interested in swapping their 4-Speeds) appreciate it.

Absolutely perfect.

Thanks for doing that.

I work three 11 to 12 hour days, and am off starting tomorrow through Sunday. So now I have some free time to go 5-Speed hunting and mess with other things on my truck. I will, of course, keep everyone updated. :)

15. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Your welcome bro!

After looking at my ghetto fabulous mount, I decided to re-do it using the 90 model bracket.

Here it is chopped to make room for the centering pin and using two bolts to hold it down...

[​IMG]

After taking a second look, I didn't feel comfy that it'll hold up to future abuse... So, I took some of the home depot flat bar and redrilled some holes to match. This should suffice and looks a whole lot cleaner...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For future reference the measurements from the crossmember to the center of the centering pin should be 3-1/4" if you find a bracket with that measurment your good to go!

16. Nook

Nook Addict

I upgraded my old 77 pickup from the steel case W50 to an 85 Celica aluminum case W55, everything was a bolt in including driveshaft, except for the rear mount which I had to extend back a little bit, utilized the 2 rear bolt holes and fabbed a plate/mount to the crossmember to bolt the 2 rear bolts to. Someday if I get ambitious maybe I'll even finish this 77 EFI project :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Wow!

Nook,

Really really beautiful. :) Is that a 20r???

Take your time! Allow us all a chance to catch up. Hahahaha. :)

Awesome work. Awesome awesome work.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Joe

18. Nook

Nook Addict

Thanks Joe, appreciate it. Its a 22R, the truck, a 77 short bed SR5 was just my daily for a number of years, I finally decided it was time for a paint job and needless to say I got carried away, took it down to the bare frame cleaned, painted, went through the suspension, urethane bushings front to rear, then a friends 16 year old son was driving her Celica GTS she bought new in 85, and got blasted in the side and totaled it so I bought that and swapped the engine and trans into the truck, took some doing to change to the computered EFI system, but it came out OK, my goal was to do the swap and make it look like it came that way new. All thats needed is to finish the body and paint work and bolt it back together.

19. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    despite how "burley" the tranny mount looks it doesnt deal with all that much stress.

on celica's and corona's this is the bolt that connects the x-mem to the chassis

[​IMG]

and while we are on the subject anybody ever heard of or seen a polyurathane tranny mount?

20. Nook

Nook Addict

Have seen them for the 4x4 but don't recall any for the 2wd