3vz to 22r wiring woes

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by burnzya, Jun 24, 2012.

1. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    hey guys i have a question. i've searched online for the answer but only find people preaching a 3vz to 5vz swap, which i have no use for in a bagged 4runner.

i've taken the harness for the 3vz and fished out all the 3vz stuff leaving just the light and a/c wiring, and i've taken the 22r harness and fished out all the light wiring. so basically i have 2 harnesses ready to splice.

but i'm super nervous about having wiring issues after doing all the splicing.

so the question is can i power a 22r off of a 3vz harness?

in my head i'd need power for the coil, igniter, starter, alt, which obviously the 3vz harness should have. just not sure how i would hook it all up.

anybody got any advice? (other then swapping a 5vz.. lol)

2. shin

shin Member

Truck:
    91 base
    the did put the 22r enignes in that generation of trucks i believe up to 90 or 91. maybe go to the j yard and get a harness look for a 2wd base truck, they are getting hard to find, i know since i am looking for one

3. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    if its not too late id keep the 3vz alt wiring.

then you just need to light up the coil and wire/plumb fuel

a 22r really only needs a constant hot and a switched hot on both the coil n alt.

if you want to throw money at the problem get a DUI ignition or mallory or whatever, those aftermarket ignitions tend to be just one switched wire.

4. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i have the 22r harness. it's just that there is a lot of wiring to have all the power windows and locks. it runs off of a relay behind the dash and i'm afraid of messing up those connections.

this is what i'm wanting to hear ryan! lol. i already hacked the 3vz harness but i can grab another one from the junkyard. do you still have the same phone #? i might be giving you a call lol

5. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    yep, same bat channel ;)

if it were me, id just leave the stock harness untouched and run a piggy back harness for the 22r. once every thing works, cut out what wiring you dont use.