2rz head on 22r block.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 22r, Apr 4, 2010.

1. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    would it work?

2. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    whooooooooooooooooooooooole lotta machinin involved is my guess.

you would think however that it would right? im not sure however if the motors run counter to eachother or not. i know the tacoma motors run the intakes and exhausts out on opposite sides so that makes me wonder. also, length of the block.... yea its the same size 2.4 but are the dimensions within the same areas. another thing.... water jacket alignment.... oil dump and circulation.... running the timing chain would be interesting.....

im sure i would have heard somethin about a hybrid already being those motors have been out for more than 10 years........ also, considering if there was much work involved, a whole transplant would be easier.

3. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Yeah, transplant would be easier...

also, would the combustion chambers line up with the cylinders themselves? ;)

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Youd have to have both motors sitting next to each other to correctly verify.

5. KEKAHA_HR

KEKAHA_HR Member

Not really. Its pretty obvious it won't work. And why???? Just swap one in...its easier than you think

6. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    im guessing a 3rz swap is the same as a 2rz i wanted the 3rz 8 intake port motor and if im not mistaken it has the COIL-on-plug ignition setup. or distributer less ignition. sorry my spelling sucks still in sku haha

7. KEKAHA_HR

KEKAHA_HR Member

Nah, no problems man. I believe both the 2rz and 3rz has the coil on plug setup. 1998 and above 4cyl trucks all had the coil on plug ignition. There are a lot of forums on the internet where people has done this swap. Here is a link that i've found to be most helpful in the planning: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4401.0 There's a lot more and a google search should give you some good results. I've never done the swap before, but i was planning everything a while ago. When I do get another toypup, i'm going to be putting one of these engines in there. Hope this helps! O and if you want the 8port heads, they are interchangeable. The only difference through out production years were the difference in the intake ports.

8. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    somewhere on www.celica-gts.com there is a pic of a 22r head gasket and a 2rz side by side. 100% sure it wont work, 2rz head is wider then the 22r block.

9. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Thats like trying to put a 4age 20valve head on a 3t-c lol. 2 completly different engines. Heck even vg30de heads wont swap onto vg30e engines. Thats nissan though.

10. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    i thought it wouldnt hurt to ask jus in case the car gods made it to be. haha

11. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Theres a lot you can do but generally not between different engines, like a 20r on a 22r yeah sure, a 2rz head on a 3rz probably... heck one guy cut different pieces out of 3 ka24 engines, welded them together and put them on a L28 and twin turbo'd it. l28dett lol.

12. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    im not a mad scientist like that...lol