22R-E built for turbo? Need input please.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by daddio211, Jan 22, 2020.

1. daddio211

daddio211 Newbie

I bought an '85 2WD Xtra Cab SR5. The previous owner managed to push rod #3 through both sides of the block so I'm definitely going to need an engine.

I've looked at 1JZ/2JZ and they're just too expensive.

I have a hot SBC and a LS in the garage, but I'd like to keep this all Toyota. No, not going 1UZ either.

I've looked at 2RZ and adding a turbo (smaller bore and longer stroke than 3RZ so it will respond better to forced induction).

I've looked at 5VZ and besides a doing a supercharger it just doesn't excite me much.

The truck also has power steering, cruise control and AC which I'd like to keep intact without a lot of effort.

So... that takes me back to a 22R-E and turbo. Yes, I'm well aware of the 22R-ET. I guess if I find one of those blocks for sale that's what I'll build.

My big question is: can I expect 200-225 HP from 8.0:1 compression with 8-10 pounds of boost? I'll definitely run forged rods, forged pistons and a quality chrome piston ring on top. I want to build this on a budget (don't we all?) as I'd rather put more money into my hot rod projects than the Toyota.

I know there are infinite shops who offer high dollar short blocks, turbo intakes, heads, custom ECU's, turbos, etc., but I'm a "build it in the garage" kind of a guy.

Whatta ya think?

74RN22 likes this.
  2. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Most likely not..but try it and let us know! But no, I think extensive optimization must be done to get that kind of power..and only really applicable to racing engines.

daddio211 likes this.
  3. daddio211

daddio211 Newbie

Pretty sure this is the route I'm going with it, guess we'll see. Getting 200-225 HP isn't tough with a setup like this, the boost pressure is the real question. Although I'll build the engine to handle lots I wouldn't boost it to full capacity. I just want a fun little street truck that'll spank most newer "muscle cars."

_Quickfox likes this.
  4. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

That kind of power it definitely will!

5. daddio211

daddio211 Newbie

Right? I don't want to run 25+ lbs of boost and have a temperamental engine. I want to comfortably cruise around town or several hundred miles down the highway with the AC on and the ability to haul ass when the need arrives... without breaking things. :)

6. daddio211

daddio211 Newbie

Oh, breaking things. I'll be putting in a Ford 8.8" with locker.

Better figure out a tougher trans than the stock 5 speed too... :oops:

7. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Who are we kidding here? Money into any project vehicle is finding the proper place to insert disposable income and use it as a replacement for our youth pass tense... If we had it by the bucket loads without a restrictor (Wife) That summit or Jegs catalog would have burn marks on most of the pages…

That said, just vision the actual engine that you really want to build and do as the rest of us do, Hide the money in a separate account until you have enough to buy the parts you need or pay off that student loan that you have put off for years…

I say, build it your way, and make sure you stay out of arms reach when she grabs that skillet, knifes or whatever was being used to make your dinner as she sees you pull that car up into the driveway…

A man’s got to be a man!! Remember, there was a time in your life when you did not know the rules, you didn’t know about “the Laws” were, before you said those words that have affected your wallet since those fatal words were spoken: “I Do”!!

Those days when you had a full head of hair, and friends your future bride hated, but they were there to help put you in trouble or pull you out of that mud-hole that was at least four feet deeper than your trucks roof.

When fun was 16 oz. of mud covered PBR and a pack of Marlboros rolled up in your left t-shirt sheet. You had grease or dirt on your face and the women loved you…

Just make sure that your careful if you buy one of those Chinese turbo’s, they don’t cost that much, but who knows how long they will last…..

Pearce and _Quickfox like this.
  8. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    I haven't dynoed mine yet, but I put a lot of performance upgrades into my 22rte. In my long stretching hopes 200hp is a thing, but I'm not sure how close to that I actually am. I push about 9.5lbs of boost on a tiny ct20 with adjustable wastegate. I used to be over on the 22rte-trucks site and it sounded like 10psi is where the stock ECU starts to have issues.

I live in California where everything I do has to conform to the all mighty CARB restrictions. I don't know where you live, but I'm sure without CARB restrictions you could make 200 easily.

If you check out my thread "Betsy" I have most of the info on my engine build in there.

74RN22 and _Quickfox like this.
  9. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
  10. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Forged rods and pistons for a 200hp turbo engine is not really necessary. The stock 22R internals are really quite stout. The rods can handle that, and a bit more as long as the balance and tune are good. The stock pistons can handle moderate boost with a proper tune. What kills a 22R/RE is poor balance and RPM. I've run the stock rods to 7000rpm without issue with good balance and tune with a lot of engines. 7500rpm tends to be the upper limit but can be pushed a little further with the proper treatment ( polishing, shot peening, etc..). I ran my engines hard! Never through a rod.
    As for 8-10lbs of boost ? 9-1 comp and street fuel can be run with a good tune.

Instead of a turbo set-up look into doing a supercharger. Look at the 3.8 Thunderbird M90 Eaton unit.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  11. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I've seen plenty to gain from switching to ethanol when going turbo.. but then again parts, tunning and fueling coast start to make you shy away from the daily driver idea..lol

12. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    M112/m122 are decent units aswell, especially running water/meth injection.. fabbing up a manifold is the key!

13. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    I have built a few boosted 22re engines. My latest in my '75 uses .40" over forged Wiseco pistons, eagle rods, DOA head, and a stock crank. It runs on E85 and 25lbs of boost up to 7,200RPM. I did have the rotating assembly balanced and I am very happy I did. Pretty sure it makes more than 200hp but, who knows? I was driving it a lot until it got hot and sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic without AC kind of sucks after a while.
    Old picture but, you get the idea.
    Resized 14331.jpg

Toyotashack and Erwin Merida like this.