22R Cold Start Stall

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 83pickup, Mar 20, 2022.

Tags:
  1. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    So, my truck being the first carbureted and manual vehicle I've owned, I've a lot to learn about it!

Starting off, whenever my truck is cold-started (i.e. first start of the day) as soon as it catches on and with me either giving it gas or giving it none, it will run briefly then stall out. Restarting it, it starts fine and runs like nothing happened. I am starting it in Neutral with the clutch in, handbrake on, without being in gear/no electronics on either. Might be something very simple hopefully.

I do have a little bit of technical know-how but not much, so I am seeing if anyone here has any input on my little conundrum. Thanks in advance!

-89p'up

2. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    Whoops meant to type 83, my mind automatically goes to 89 because of my Van! :duh:

3. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

I don’t know if Toyota’s choke works the same, but on a lot of American vehicles, to set the automatic choke, fully depress and release the gas pedal once, before starting. This sets the choke plate. See if that solves your issue.

83pickup likes this.
  4. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    Will try that as soon as I get a new battery soon, mine's 7 years old now from getting a quick test so the CCAs on it aren't up to par anymore. I'll try it tomorrow morning; thanks for the info on the choke! :D

In addition, some poor coordination between two people pushing it into the driveway will now result in me getting a new driver's front fender marker lamp since I walloped it clean off on the edge of my house :duh: D'oh! Oh well, I might make a write-up on that since it looks pretty easy and straight forward (of what I've seen from a quick peek at what remains of it!) The original plastic housing and gasket material got pretty messed up so I'll replace the whole thing. When it comes in I'll make a thread in the proper category.

5. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    Meant to reply to this thread a while back, it is indeed the choke. As before stated I've never owned a carbureted vehicle so I'm still learning!

Erwin Merida likes this.