1994 Toyota Pickup 1UZ VVTI Build

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Luxsupra, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Luxsupra

Luxsupra Member

Truck:
    94 Toyota pickup, standard cab with short bed
    Hello TM,

I've been a member for a while and have found a ton useful information here and wanted to share my project. I've built a ton of cars for low-rider trucks, RX7's, Mustangs and VIP cars. At the end of the day the need for speed always returns. Its still a work in progress but its definitely coming together. I also wanna say to my buddy for all his help, his username is Yotarip.

So this was the truck when I picked it up for $400. It was gutted with a thrown rod, no interior. I sold the busted engine and the transmission for $200.

IMG_20150819_183848700.jpg
    IMG_20150819_184002149.jpg
    IMG_20150819_183830337.jpg IMG_20150819_183914038.jpg

It wasn't much to look at but its a Toyota and that's good enough for me. I did eventually get a 4runner dash and SR5 installed so I could have a tachometer and the other gauges. Also installed the 4runner steering column so I can have the tilt option. NICE!

IMG_20151114_155317072.jpg IMG_20151114_155340156.jpg

Here is the engine bay after the busted 22R was sold and a few pictures of the 1UZ VVTI to be installed. I picked the engine up for $600. Intake to oil pan, harness, ECU, Key and all of the accessories from the 2000 LS400 donor car.

IMG_20150901_153653964_HDR.jpg IMG_20150901_153657878.jpg

My 1UZ came pretty clean with some Awesome and a pressure washer.
    IMAG0080.jpg

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ooooh another 1UZ. I love seeing this swap done

Luxsupra likes this.
  3. Luxsupra

Luxsupra Member

Truck:
    Here are a few more pictures of the 1UZ after the clean. I wish I had some before pictures. You could see it looked like no gaskets were ever changed during the 180k miles that are on the engine.

IMAG0084.jpg IMAG0082.jpg

I picked up a bell housing for the local salvage yard and drove about 4 hours to another and picked up a W58 from a 85ish Celica with about 130k and purchased a bell housing adapter kit online. I won't go into detail about the kit as they are easy to find, install.

IMAG0070.jpg IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0086.jpg
    I got a modified 4runner flywheel from the homie Yotarip, installed the clutch, bolted it all together and it was ready to swing in. I used oem 22R lower rubber mounts and aftermarket upper mounts from xcessivemanufacturing.com made for the 22R into MX73 Cressida. The mounts placed my engine to high so we had to cut my mounts off frame and lower the and inch for clearance.

IMAG0252.jpg

The and transmission went in fine without any cutting. Used a tool to changed the engine angle as we installed it and it was a breeze to get it in the both times. It almost looks stock its so at home under the hood.

IMAG0384.jpg

Erwin Merida and yotaman95 like this.
  4. Luxsupra

Luxsupra Member

Truck:
    During the process of collecting engine parts I also collect a few exterior parts to pretty up the Juggernaut. I pick up a new chrome grille off EBay plus some 4runner fenders, bumper and valance from the local pick & pull. Got to love a good junkyard. I plan to buy new bumpers later but at the moment just wanna make it presentable. Oh yea, this truck only came with one mirror so I installed a set from a 4runner.

IMAG0387.jpg

I cant get over how this engine just wants to be in this truck, around 2600lbs with about 300hp OMG!
    IMAG0388_1.jpg

I also eventually picked up a really nice hood. The originally had hood pin holes form the previous idiot, I mean owner. Cant beat it for around $40.
    IMAG0110.jpg

Later found a set of Tiburon seats. I think they came from the last generation before being replaced with the genesis coupe. I really like them and I'm still in the process of mounting them but that's not hard just all over the place at moment.

IMAG0256.jpg IMAG0257.jpg

5. Luxsupra

Luxsupra Member

Truck:
    IMAG0441.jpg At one point we decided the engine shouldn't have to come back out for any reason so we opted to install the drive shaft. unfortunately it was to short and wasn't engaging the transmission enough so I picked up a spacer from Lowrangeoffroad.com Yotarip took the measurements, I ordered the part and bingo, problem solved.

IMAG0434.jpg

6. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    wow, thats so bad ass. that engine in there looks like it was born that way!! cant wait to see more progress and rig moving!!

Luxsupra likes this.
  7. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Glad to see u posted a build thread. Was wondering if yotarip was just making excuses for not working on his truck, lol. Cant wait to see the grudge race once both trucks are "complete". Keep up the good work!

Luxsupra likes this.
  8. Luxsupra

Luxsupra Member

Truck:
    Yotarip has about 9 projects going on all Toyota or Lexus of course. His truck is up and running but it's at a stand still until he buttons up a few things on his other rides. Or until I beat his truck which ever comes first lol. Then he'll do a vvti 1uz upgrade on his truck I'm sure.

9. Hawk44

Hawk44 Newbie

What bell housing did u grab from the junkyard?

10. Luxsupra

Luxsupra Member

Truck:
    I pickup up a spare transmission for my 99 LS400, since you never know when one will go out on you. I used the bell from that transmission since I can always reuse the one in my car if my transmission goes bad in my LS. This is her my LS400 at Myrtle Beach. IMAG0505.jpg
    IMAG0507_1.jpg This was Yotarip and I with our daily drivers at cars and coffee. IMAG0293.jpg

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.
  11. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Nice pics and project man....keep the pics coming....enjoying the progress

12. Luxsupra

Luxsupra Member

Truck:
    Definitely will do, I ordered a few parts this week so yotarip can start on the wiring and exhaust asap. I need some interior stuff so I'm hitting the wrecker in the AM to see if I can get lucky.

13. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Man hopefully those junkyard are cheap out there...here in texas and even in cali man they are expensive for parts...that's why I ended up getting a donor truck and swapping everything and flipped it and made a profit off of it....

14. Luxsupra

Luxsupra Member

Truck:
    Most are pretty good with prices. Some are way better than others but it's hard to find a Toyota pickup for under $1500 even with a bad engine or transmission they go for a premium. I really only need carpet, a headliner, door panels and a few trim pieces.

15. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Ya I hear that...that's why I started to look for 4runners instead of pickups....carpet your probably better off getting brand new...

16. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    I would agree to just order new carpet, also ebay has new headliners.

17. Luxsupra

Luxsupra Member

Truck:
    I had priced carpet on eBay, it's actually in my watch list but was afraid of a poor fit. I hadn't looked into a new headliner but I'd be afraid of fitment with that also. Do any of you guys have 1st hand experience with those items.

18. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    I got carpet for my 2001 chevy from a website I found off of Google. I'll try to see if I can find it but it was molded and had the trim a lot of it but it looks great...so in other words just make sure it's fittedone and your always going to have to trim it to fit...

Luxsupra likes this.
  19. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    I cant say for headliner, but years ago I ordered the floor carpet (not from ebay from what I recall). But I do plan on ordering the headliner once I'm ready. I will say for the carpet, its been in the truck for 10yrs now and it has held up very well, it has a few spot that have sun faded but its hard to tell.

20. Luxsupra

Luxsupra Member

Truck:
    Had some parts come in recently for the build. I guess you can call these down pipes. these to custom bent pipes will be the beginning of my exhaust system right after the manifolds. Yotarip used these part on his truck and they did a great job of clearing the engine and cross members.
    IMG956037.jpg
    Also my transmission emulator was received. Super stoked about this part as it unleashes the full potential of the 1UZ VVTI engine. 500425025.jpg