1984 Toyota Phoenix RV to flatbed conversion

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by AKPirate, Sep 24, 2021.

1. AKPirate

AKPirate Newbie

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Phoenix RV- soon to be flat bed.
    In this thread I will be documenting my RV project. I am filming the whole thing and will post the videos here. I would be MORE than happy to hear any suggestions, tips or warnings!

By the end of this project, I am hoping to have a cherry flatbed that I will use as a summer time fishing rig for up here in Alaska.

If this sounds interesting to you, please follow along and hit me with your feedback!

1984 Toyota RV Project - YouTube

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. AKPirate

AKPirate Newbie

Truck:
  3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
  4. AKPirate

AKPirate Newbie

Truck:
    It's going to be a flatbed... I think you may need to calm down there junior, HA!

5. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Liar....Liar....pants on fire. HA!

6. AKPirate

AKPirate Newbie

Truck:
    You need to grow up son. Maybe if you could pay attention, you would realize that I set out to remodel the camper, but discovered that it was too far gone to do so... I think you just need to get outside and away from your computer screen for a while, this is the sort of thing I expect form teenagers on Tik Tok....

7. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    You got caught. Suck it up. And don’t call me “son”. I’m probably older than you.

8. AKPirate

AKPirate Newbie

Truck:
    Caught doing what exactly, son? I am posting my project as I edit the videos.... I plan on using the flat bed as a fishing/ camping rig... What do you think is going on? You are trying to play internet detective and it's making me laugh so hard! Why don't you go report me to whoever it is you thinks cares about your "discovery"? HAHAHA.

Ok son, keep it coming, because it's hilarious and I can let you embarrass yourself all day long, heck, for the rest of the season even! how long you wanna play your little game?

Son, you need to grow up. SON!

9. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Dude, I was buying LEADED gasoline for 27 cents per gallon when I first got my license. You do the math. You’re trying to promote your YouTube video. Go for it.

10. AKPirate

AKPirate Newbie

Truck:
    ‍♂️ Ok son, I’m going to go ahead and help you out, so you can stop spraying tears all over creation, and so you can stop embarrassing yourself on the internet…

Here are a couple of vector images that I designed in order to help me visually conceptualize my ideas…. Now I know you are a fussy lil guy, so I’m gunna tell ya up front, I’m teaching myself how to use this design app, so they aren’t perfect, but they sure are useful to help me come up with ideas that I can then build on, and turn in to real things…

Now son, the last thing I’m gunna say to ya is, someone your age should have developed much keener critical thinking skills…. What’s going on in your personal life that causes you to play a terrible internet detective in Toyota forums? Or, maybe the better question is, what ISN’T going on??

Now son, I’m gunna need you to get over yourself and start acting like an adult… I don’t know what kind of ppl you are used to dealing with, but I don’t have time for this sort of childish nonsense, what a ya say son? Can ya do that for me?

6-tent.jpg 7-dirt bike.jpg

11. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Well seeing as you were the poster child for birth control pills I guess I can do that. DAD

12. AKPirate

AKPirate Newbie

Truck:
    Well it’s about time son! I’m sure the people that HAVE to deal with you everyday will appreciate your choice A LOT more than I will! Good talk son, now get outta my hair!

13. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Fred is an incredibly helpful reaource and one of the reasons why this site is great. Another reason this site is great is because people can share information and knowledge in a FRIENDLY environment.
    AKPirate, we are here to help you, but not if your posts are full of this much antagonism. Be cool, and good luck with the truck.

Perkolator likes this.
  14. AKPirate

AKPirate Newbie

Truck:
    I thought I was pretty friendly to some random guy that accused me of lying... I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. More than happy to share information in a friendly manner, but I give the energy I get, right back... I was raised to play by the golden rule, treat people the way you want to be treated. Mybe Fred needs to reevaluate how he treats others before he gets upset about how they react to him...

15. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Shame you couldn't save the camper, Are you going to replace the cab? It looks like it will make a great flatbed.

16. AKPirate

AKPirate Newbie

Truck:
    Yea, it was a bummer, I might have been able to salvage the camper if I had started the project 10 years ago when I first purchased it, but that’s life. I am still thinking about replacing the cab. I’ll get more into it in the next video, the only reason I’d keep the cab that’s on it now would be because of the potential to reuse the campers windows.

17. Liquidhandwash

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Its hard to see in the video, does the cab have the back cut off or is it a giant hole in the back bulkhead?

18. AKPirate

AKPirate Newbie

Truck:
    Standard walk through motorhome cab. I have seen that other folks have replaced the motorhome cabs with regular ones, but I’m really hoping to avoid that as it would just be another huge project.
    C4471A6E-FA05-481E-8384-3206469DF12D.jpeg

19. Liquidhandwash

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    That's not going to be easy to fix, are you handy with a welder? The hole from the floor to the window wouldn't be too bad but the roof...

20. AKPirate

AKPirate Newbie

Truck:
    It would be cake! I have been considering purchasing a welder and using this project to teach myself, but honestly I haven’t decided yet. As far as getting the rear and roof dialed in, I was originally considering just using 5/8” plywood for both, and just cutting holes for the windows (that’s what’s on there now). Possibly trying to recycle some of the siding from the motorhome as well. Second option is using something lighter and more durable to deal with the harsh Alaskan weather. UHMW may be the choice, we use it on the bottoms of our jet boats and ski plane skis up here. Same idea, just cut holes for the windows. Ill have to cross that bridge when I get there, but it will probably just end up being plywood with recycled siding. I’ll get more into it in the video I am currently editing.