1978 Toyota SR5 20R fuel sending unit and fuel tank

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by shyguy4407, Aug 3, 2020.

1. shyguy4407

shyguy4407 Newbie

I am back again with another question of course

So the truck I am restoring has been sitting a long time. I have dropped the engine. Now I have to clean the fuel system before I run the new motor.

I have not been able to get a new tank anywhere I have looked. So the plan drop the old tank , take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned.

So while I am there I was going to put a new sending unit for the fuel gauge and a new fuel pump and complete the fuel system, I am converting to a Weber carb.

So finally to get to the point you also cannot buy a new oem sending unit from Toyota, and I have heard the aftermarket ones are not so hot, so I am looking for advice on what some of you have done to replace the original sending unit?

thank you

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I ended up going with a Speedhut gauge and sending unit. Nothing readily available matches the resistance of the original sender or gauge.

3. shyguy4407

shyguy4407 Newbie

thank you, for the reply, are you happy with the conversion you made?

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    100%. i had swapped in a sending unit from ebay when i first got the truck driveable and it never worked. Speedhut worked perfect

5. shyguy4407

shyguy4407 Newbie

funny you mentioned ebay, I was looking at those and thought might be a waste of time

thanks Bobby

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Can still try the ebay one just fuck with it til the resistance hopefully reads correctly